PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 laminated house

4good2
02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
I have posted this on three other sites, HGTV, DIY and Bobvila. I have built a large doghouse this way and it turned out beautiful. I sealed and stained it with Olympic Honey Gold sealer. I over lapped each corner in alternating direction, which made it look like "finger joints". Is Very heavy and very solid. I got some good debate going on the DIY board. Maybe I can get some good debate here as well Thanks. This looks like a great site.

New Member and my first post. After researching and pricing log homes, laminated log homes and metal pole barn type homes (Morton Building homes), I have an idea. My Grand View UMC church has beautiful 2x6 laminated beams (arches) approximately 25 feet tall which is the main structure for our octagon shaped building. There are also laminated 2x6 beams between main beams sort of like timber frame buildings. There are also two 2x6 laminated beams set on brick columns holding up the main front drive under entrance. They are all beautiful and 15 years old. The outside beams just needed some sanding and refinishing this year and it was pretty easy to do.
Has any one seen or know why I couldn???t build a house with solid 2x6 walls? I priced the lumber and for under $6000 I can build a 30x 50 solid house. I would double this 1500 sq. feet by putting it on a full basement. I would also put on a metal roof and 10 ft. wrap around porch. This would protect most of the wood. I think I would do the end gables in metal or cement board siding. Starting on top of the basement I would use a 2x6 treated sill then just start gluing with Liquid Nails and driving galvanized nails. In logic I would be building a laminated wood Home I could make drill templates for each wall and drill the wiring holes as I go up. Or drill them down and run them into the floor trusses.
Window and doorframes could be made out of 2x6s or 1x6 plastic deck wood. I bought enough 2x6 today to build a 4x5 doghouse just to show folks how beautiful it would be. About half the folks I tell all this to think I???m crazy. The other half can???t wait to see it built so they can see if they want one. My old shop teacher said it best. ???Well you have always been crazy but I can???t think of a single reason why it won???t work. ???It is too easy and nobody could charge you a massive amount of money for laminated logs and such???.
I have 32 acres and 36x50 shop and a 130-year-old drafty house I hate. This seems like a great idea for me, and a way to build my Dream Home for my wife and sons. Any Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I have added pictures of the dog house on the DIY board. I don't see how to add them here. Maybe I missed something.

rreidnauer
02-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Sounds completely do-able to me. Really, it's similar to a kit loghome, only you're using lower height logs. Sealer maintenace will be critical to long term success. I'm surprised the lumber for a 30x50 (x9 high?) could come in at $6000. Sounds low, but I never priced out something like that. I don't see any reason you couldn't continue the same method up the entire gable. (though it would only be for aesthetic value if you go with a closed attic area)

You got a link to the pictures?

sparky
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
What about collecting scrap pieces of 2 X 6 from building sites for free!

4good2
02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
The only reason I didn't want to do the gables I guess would be that there are not protected from the rain and sun like the walls would be. I was thinking a 9-10 foot porch (dutch gable on the ends) all the way around would protect the walls. Also I was not sure about keeping it plumb that high up. Is there a way to add a picture to these post? I can't seem to get it to take. Thanks for you help.

4good2
02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
This my math... I would be more than happy if I was wrong.......maybe.
2x6x10 at Lowe's is $4.78 each. 96" high (8 foot) would take 80 (1.5 thick) boards a 30x50 would take 1024 2x6x10 brds. = $4894.72
Ten foot walls would take 1280 2x6x10 brds = $6118.40

160 ft of 10' brds (16 brds long) x 64 brds high=1024 brds x 4.78 = $4894.72

160 ft of 10' brds (16 brds long) x 80 brds high =1288 brds x4.78 = $6118.40

I may check into buying direct from the mill.

4good2
02-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Man I can't seem to add an image of the dog house. Anybody know how I can do it.

4good2
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Sparky, Free would be good. I looked a Boeing surplus sales in Wichita Kansas and the have tons of scrap but most of it is from China. Lots of bamboo (some real boo) and pallets with 2x6 boards. However most of it very poor and irregular, dirty, split and such. Who knows what and where it comes from or whats been on it.

4good2
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Ok, looks like I can't add a picture. You can see it on DIY network under "message boards" and then "General Home Building" "laminated 2x6 house" But you have to be registered on DIY to see the pictures. To bad, it is really nice. Not done yet, but nice.

http://www.diynetwork.com/

http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve

rreidnauer
02-28-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't know if the anti-spam limitations prevent you from posting pictures or not, but if you can, you simply place the BBCode tags around the address of your photos like this:

http://www.yourimagehost.com/yourpicture.jpg

Remove the period in the front tag. I put it in there to kill the tag so you can see it.

Or you could just post the photo address, and let folks click on it. BTW, I went to the DIY board, and the pictures were not viewable. (might just be my computer here at work)

Vern Street
02-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey 4good2 -
I just purchased a bunch of 2X12's 8ft, 10ft, and 12t from 84 lumber. They were priced at $2.00, $3.00, and $4.00 respectively. Cut them in two and you have two 2X6's. That's a dollar a piece for an 8 ft 2X6. That will make your numbers look good. That is, if you have an 84 Lumber around somewhere. I'm in Tulsa but they are all over the East.

Vern and Sara Street
www.vernstreet.com for pix

4good2
03-01-2007, 03:22 AM
I don't know if the anti-spam limitations prevent you from posting pictures or not, but if you can, you simply place the BBCode tags around the address of your photos like this:

http://www.yourimagehost.com/yourpicture.jpg

Remove the period in the front tag. I put it in there to kill the tag so you can see it.

Or you could just post the photo address, and let folks click on it. BTW, I went to the DIY board, and the pictures were not viewable. (might just be my computer here at work)

I don't think I can make 'em http: ......They are on my U drive at work. I could email them to anybody that wants them. To see them on DIY ,you have to be registered on their board.

4good2
03-01-2007, 03:31 AM
Hey 4good2 -
I just purchased a bunch of 2X12's 8ft, 10ft, and 12t from 84 lumber. They were priced at $2.00, $3.00, and $4.00 respectively. Cut them in two and you have two 2X6's. That's a dollar a piece for an 8 ft 2X6. That will make your numbers look good. That is, if you have an 84 Lumber around somewhere. I'm in Tulsa but they are all over the East.

Vern and Sara Street

Thanks. Hey, were they yellow pine or fir? I'll check it out. I live near Winfield Ks. One of my 7 sons lives not too far from Tulsa. He runs a ranch about 5-6 miles from Lenaph Ok.
I'm not near ready to buy lumber yet but I will look at all and any options. Thanks for your help.

Wow! Vern Steet. I just checked out your web page. I love your old Triumph motor cycles. I use to have a 1973 750Triumph Trident. I think I still have knee damage from kicking starting that thing. When it started it was a wonderful ride. Sold a 1983 ironhead Sportster and an 650 ATK flat track street tracker a while back and went modern with a new rubber mounted engine 2004 1200 custom. I don???t have time to ride it but it is nice. Looks like your Log Home project is well started

4good2
03-02-2007, 08:03 AM
This adds some merit to solid wood walls.

http://www.organicbuilding.com/index.mvc?ArticleID=81

Neat projects with soild wood walls.

http://www.organicbuilding.co.nz/organic/index.mvc?ArticleID=136

rreidnauer
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey 4good2 -

Vern and Sara Street

Dang! Heck with cutting them in half for that price. Make 12" thick walls!!!!!

160 ft of 10' brds (16 brds long) x 80 brds high = 1288 brds x $3.00 = $3864.

160 ft of 8' brds (20 brds long) x 80 brds high = 1600 brds x $2.00 = $3200. :shock: :shock:

That compared to a 40x40 log home (160 feet of wall) is pretty dog gone cheap! I can hardly believe that processed lumber can come though that cheap, compared to raw logs. Baffling. Are you sure those prices are right? :? That's like only $0.27 per square foot if I were to use it for roof or floor boards.

4good2
03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Maybe we should keep this quiet. I want to be the first....In Kansas anyway. :oops:

Vern Street
03-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah - I'm sure of the cost and my yard reflects the truth. I have 2X12's all over the place. Just bought some tarps to cover them until I start making 2X6's out of them. Maybe I ought to just make tongue and groove 2X12 decking etc. - Hmmmm

I paid $2200 for an 18 wheeler load of 2X12's. See www.vernstreet.com for a picture.

Vern

rreidnauer
04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Hey 4good2!

I seen your building style in one of my favorite movies. In Open Range with Kevin Cosner and Robert Duvall, in the sheriff's office, the jail cell walls are built from what appears to be full 2" x 6" overlapped boards. There's a clear view of this lapping on a corner to the right of the door leading into the cells.

Not sure if this was an authentic construction method back then, but they seemed to try and make the movie as authentic as possible. (of course I wasn't around back then to confirm it, :lol: but I wish I was! :D )

jeffro
04-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Yeah - I'm sure of the cost and my yard reflects the truth. I have 2X12's all over the place. Just bought some tarps to cover them until I start making 2X6's out of them. Maybe I ought to just make tongue and groove 2X12 decking etc. - Hmmmm

I paid $2200 for an 18 wheeler load of 2X12's. See www.vernstreet.com for a picture.

Vern

It would sure be easier to make 12" wide decking if they are straight enough to just mill a T&G or spline or whatever joint you want. Less work, more house.

Jeff

Mark OBrien
04-05-2007, 05:11 PM
[quote="rreidnauer"]Hey 4good2!

I seen your building style in one of my favorite movies. In Open Range with Kevin Cosner and Robert Duvall, in the sheriff's office, the jail cell walls are built from what appears to be full 2" x 6" overlapped boards.

Rod, that is one of my favorite movies all-time as well. I also enjoyed "The Missing" with Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchette. They had a log cabin in that movie with an interesting twist. Instead of mortar or moss or mud chinking they had small straight saplings nailed in where the chinking is usually applied. Not saying that it is a good idea but it looked interesting. :idea:

Cheam
04-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I haven't seen the missing, so I haven't seen the cabin that you are referring to but in my area historic cabins are typically chinked with split strips of cottonwood. I am told by oldtimers that it did not work well an the cabins were cold

4good2
04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey 4good2!

I seen your building style in one of my favorite movies. In Open Range with Kevin Cosner and Robert Duvall, in the sheriff's office, the jail cell walls are built from what appears to be full 2" x 6" overlapped boards. There's a clear view of this lapping on a corner to the right of the door leading into the cells.

Not sure if this was an authentic construction method back then, but they seemed to try and make the movie as authentic as possible. (of course I wasn't around back then to confirm it, :lol: but I wish I was! :D )

Funny you mention that........My wife and I watched that movie not long ago. She was out in the Kitchen and I told her the jail house was made of 2x6's.........She just kind of laughed because that is all I had been talking about for weeks. She thought I was just going more 2x6 crazy. Great movie! I wish I knew where that building is. I got my 2x6 laminated Dog House done. It turned out very well, if I must say so myself.

RockEngineer
05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
About 15 years ago I went to a log home show up in Abottsford Canada. There was a builder there who specialized in timber homes basically made out of 2x6 solid wood walls about 4-1/2"-6" total thickness. The walls when done ended up being similar to a tongue and groove with the center board sticking up about 1-2" above the outer boards. He had beautiful dovetail type corners interlocking. There was a large model at the home show. If you had to ask the price you couldn't afford it but it was beautiful workmanship. All his wood was specially sawn for him and was the highest quality with mostly vertical grain. It would look differently with just 2x6s or 2x12s from the lumber yard but still would be nice.

4good2
05-30-2007, 03:24 AM
About 15 years ago I went to a log home show up in Abottsford Canada. There was a builder there who specialized in timber homes basically made out of 2x6 solid wood walls about 4-1/2"-6" total thickness. The walls when done ended up being similar to a tongue and groove with the center board sticking up about 1-2" above the outer boards. He had beautiful dovetail type corners interlocking. There was a large model at the home show. If you had to ask the price you couldn't afford it but it was beautiful workmanship. All his wood was specially sawn for him and was the highest quality with mostly vertical grain. It would look differently with just 2x6s or 2x12s from the lumber yard but still would be nice.

Do you know the name of the builder or know where I can see a picture of one of his homes? PM me your email and I'll send you pictures of my test 2x6 dog houseif if you would like to see it.

jjohn
12-08-2007, 05:24 PM
This is a little off topic but when reading about this topic I remembered that back sometime in 82 or so, when building a house with/for my uncle,
We had saved up all the ends cut off the 2x4s used during construction. We took 2 3/4 inch sheets of plywood screwed together. Then nailed the 2x4s on (stacked like bricks)around the perimeter, with a divided compartment in the middle. It must have been six feet or so high. we coated the inside, and outside with black roofing tar. The backhoe set it into the hole dug for it, and its been in operation ever since. Its served a familly of 6 for 25 or so years. Total cost a couple sheets of plywood and a pail or two of tar.
I dont think such a system would be permitted now, and perhaps it wasnt even permitted back then but it sure was cost effective.
If its permitted in your area, its one more option to consider.

John