PDA

View Full Version : HYBRID SYSTEMS

Drh0liday
01-21-2007, 06:27 AM
I was reading about the windmill electric power, the windmill water pumps, the solar electric the battery backups and so - on and it dawned on me, to use a combination, to power a hybrid system.

:) So it works like this, the solar and wind systems work in tandem to charge the battery banks. Then the house water comes from an, up-hill located, large capacity storage tank (thanks rreidnauer). This is filled by the windmill water pump wich if you do the math the largest one can produce 1875 GPH (31.25 gpm) the overflow could be used to supply a low flow generator or some other appropriate generator / alternator / whatever. all this supplies constant power to your inverter and your batteries. the inverter/charger would act as a buffer between the charging systems and battery backups. ok now tweak the system with your suggestions. all suggestions are valid lets build the most cost efficient dynamic system possible. target is to become independent from the grid. :twisted:

rreidnauer
01-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Yea, that will work up to the point of generating electric with the overflow. A very carefully sized micro hydro generator could put out a respectable 100~200 watts at that flow rate, depending on how many feet of head you got.

Unfortunately, you'll be burning up far more wattage than that with the pump that is supplying the water to the overflow. Not only that, you are putting wear and tear on the pump continuously.

You'd be far better off to just stop pumping and send the power to the batteries/inverters for home use.

The only time micro hydro is valid for use, is when and where the water flow occurs naturally, or if it comes from an unavoidable supply of waste water. (like factory cooling outflows, not a likely situation for home owners)

Drh0liday
01-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Unfortunately, you'll be burning up far more wattage than that with the pump that is supplying the water to the overflow. Not only that, you are putting wear and tear on the pump continuously.

:!: whoa, you missed the part where the uphill water source is coming from a windmill pump, wo we're not actuall using any electricity to pump water out of the well, the wind is doing that for us, so the overflow can be applied to that micro hydro 8) , sorry i must not have clarified that www.aermotorwindmill.com these will pump water

rreidnauer
01-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Oops, quite right! I saw "solar and wind systems" and jumped the gun. You did say windmill waterpump, and I apologize.

dbtoo
01-21-2007, 05:40 PM
The wind is not going to blow all the time. So you will need a holding tank for your water so that you have sufficient amonts to make it while the wind isn't blowing.

My 400 watt wind turbine runs a lot. I put it up to help charge the batteries, particularly at night. It's helped, but not sufficiently enough to have warrented my costs. I should have put up 4 additional panels on a new tracker.

Drh0liday
01-22-2007, 04:36 AM
Then the house water comes from an, up-hill located, large capacity storage tank (thanks rreidnauer). This is filled by the windmill water pump

got one :mrgreen:

by the way i'd like to know how many panels do you have, what size, and what's the wattage dbtoo