PDA

View Full Version : Members: Question before class this weekend...

akemt
08-31-2006, 06:45 AM
Would you bother taking notes?

Or, would you simply listen carefully because the book and CD are all the notes you'll need?

Thanks a million! I'm so excited; we leave tonight!!!

rreidnauer
08-31-2006, 08:46 AM
You'll get a manual with most the information in there, in addition to the CD, but expect to write down notes and observations within the book. (and questions that cannot be immediately addressed) Always smart to write them down, instead of forgetting later.

Anyhow, it's alot easier now, than it use to be when you had to write down everything yourself.

Enjoy the class. You'll have a great time. Have a famous Skip cookie for me while your there. :wink:

dbtoo
08-31-2006, 08:48 AM
I had a 5 section notebook. I filled 2 and 1/2 sections with notes and drawings/sketches (and I suck at drawing), along with notations in the supplied book. The notes are necessary because there will be specific questions to certain situations, usually spawned by questions from the new members, the answers to which, will not be in the books or cd.

It depends on the person too, I suppose. I'm a note taker. My wife is not - she can't pay attention to what is being said and write it down at the same time (due to a stroke she had several years ago).

SIT IN THE FRONT if you can! Don't hang in the back or in the kitchen. You paid your money, get every penny out of it. There will be breaks, but try not to miss a moment of the class, they won't wait on people to return to their seats, which I agree with. Heck 11 hours would turn into 15 if they had to wait for everybody! There are also scale models in the kitchen which are way cool to look at and get ideas. There are a couple of demonstrations outside - step up and try it! Don't be shy.

Squirt_TN
08-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Wear comfortable shoes for the "hill" and remember to ask anything and everything. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Fro
08-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Take lots of notes. The workbook is good but some of the sections are specifically left blank for you to fill in as class progresses. Even when filled in, the devil's in the details so the more notes you take the better. Have a great time and see you in the members' section. :D

JeffandSara
09-01-2006, 08:12 AM
I agree with the majority opinion. Do take notes. When we attended, we had to take notes because there was no workbook provided, but even so.... you'll be likely to write down and clarify what's most likely to be most important to YOU to know and remember, if you're paying attention to the overall information. The beauty of the workbooks they guys wrote is that I bet they are good for making sure you get the basics on what you don't REALIZE you need to know until later. :wink:

And thanks dbtoo for already mentioning what I think is the most important advice!!!!

Don't chat in the kitchen when class is going on. When I attended, Jeff had already been, so I knew the basics of the building technique, and my notes were back-up for some areas of the extensive notes Jeff had already taken. Several times during the two days I shooed people out of the kitchen when they were missing very essential elements of the process.... like how/why Skip houses don't settle the same way kit/handcrafted do! :shock:

There ought to be plenty of time during breaks and after class to hook up with other class members, trade contact information, chat, etc. :D

Have a great time! Sara :D

Steve Wolfe
09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
It???s great to hear they have work books and a CD. I don???t mind taking notes but having the basics already prepared is a nice bonus. I told Sandy that I have to bring rope and carabineers to get up the hill and that if the Skip cookies are as good as they say I may gain 10 or 15 Lbs while I am there. She said the hill was a non-issue but I better take notes and bring the recipe back if the cookies are that good.

Hint, Hint to our instructors: A 3 x 5 index/recipe card in the back of the work book might be in order. I???ll give her the recipe in exchange for exposed log walls on the interior!

To Catherine and others attending the Sept. 9-10 class, I'm looking forward to meeting you.

BTH ??? How many people are normally in each class?

Steve

dbtoo
09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I believe it was 30 people. Sit in the front, don't hang out in the kitchen - Did I mention this before....

akemt
09-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Steve, I actually took the Sept 2 + 3 class. The class was absolutely amazing and definately what it is cracked up to be! The foundation information alone was worth the money for us (Why, oh WHY didn't we take this class in May?).

Personally, I don't think there is all that much time for mingling and mixing, but yes, it is much more worthwhile to spend the time learning the things you've paid to learn! Maybe it's because I'm a woman? :wink: LOL

Now we just need to get our addition and remodel finished, sell this place, and get to work on our first log home! The question now is: how soon can Britton quit his job?

A BIG thanks to Steve W. and Ellsworth!!!

dbtoo
09-05-2006, 01:56 PM
I actually took the Sept 2 + 3 class. Did you take notes?

akemt
09-05-2006, 03:01 PM
I did take notes...in fact, I took more notes than I thought I really needed to just incase I forgot something I didn't think I would. LOL Much of what they cover in class is in the notebooks, and they do have the sections that are meant to be filled out in class. I actually think the ammount of note-taking is dependant on how familiar you are with various building materials and techniques (while the log-home building is different, you still have to build a floor, use vapor barrier, etc), as well as how "common sense" it all feels to you.

It was great!!!

Oh, and I think we had about 29 people attend our class with another 2 that didn't show...Don't forget your lunch and definately be on time!