PDA

View Full Version : Cost for shipping logs?

LoggerDon
08-29-2006, 01:25 PM
My wife and I are signed up for the Sept 9/10 class. Despite my username (LoggerDon) I don't know anything about logs except what I read on this site.

1st question) My main question is how much do logs cost to ship? Could anyone give examples of how much they paid, or of how much anyone else paid?

The log home we intend to build will not be excessively large (2000 sq ft?) with a simple design. I'd just like to have an idea of how much it costs
To buy?
To Ship?
for an average(?) home. Is it 10k? 35k?

We live in Southern California. Don't know where log people get logs, but a member in So Cal said they shipped theirs by rail from British Columbia.

Regarding local logs (we live in the San Jacinto Mountains) I've been told that we can't use them (that they aren't construction grade). I can't vouch for the 'expert' who gave me that 'fact'. There are many dead pines around from bark beetles and drought. I'd LOVE to use the logs around here.

2nd question): How would I go about researching whether or not the local logs can be used? US Forestry? If anyone has advice on how to go about this.
What would the criteria be?
*Am I looking at the amount of taper?
*Type of wood?
*How knotty they are?
*Amount of bark beetle damage? (do the bark beetles still live in dead wood?)

Sorry for the long post. Thanks everyone and see you in the member section in Sept.

dbtoo
08-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Most of your questions will be answered in the class. patience my friend. Then, there is a whole well of knowledge to dip into in the members section after the class.

Steve and Elsworth won't answer the question where to get logs in southern cal, not directly. But, you'll get some knowledge and tools to start looking. (If I recall correctly, and don't let this worry you, I think the amount for BIG logs from BC to S. Cal was 40 grand. Not sure if that is posted in the members section or here somewhere, try the search?)

Heck, you might be able to get them in AZ with the fires/beetle kill here.

LoggerDon
08-30-2006, 10:37 AM
dbtoo,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to see if there is any preparation I can do BEFORE attending the class.

Also, have you purchased logs in AZ?

That would be great also. I would just purchase a duelly truck and a large trailer and truck them back a dozen at a time. Then sell the truck. Anything to get around a $40k hit.

Thanks again.

hawkiye
09-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Do you know what specieis the trees are? That might help. Forget about what the local expert told you they are not familiar with this building method. What does he mean by construction grade? Who knows but usually they mean making lumber out of when the say construction grade which does not necassarily apply to whole logs using Skips methods. Skip has been quoted saying "build with what you got" or some similar phrase. Chances are good you can use those local logs and the class will teach you how to tell if a log is usable for building a Skip style log home.

Blayne

LoggerDon
09-01-2006, 08:19 AM
The trees are pine, but I don't know what kind of pine.

I called the US Forestry Service yesterday and they were very helpful. They said that there are ways for civilians to get access to trees in designated areas. They gave me the number of the 'forester'. I called him and am waiting for his return call.

LoggerDon
09-01-2006, 08:31 AM
I like the "build with what you've got" philosophy. I'm going to go into this with the idea that I will probably be able to build with local logs. Skip wrote me and said I can most likely use the local logs.

The 'expert' guy was referring to log homes, but he was also trying to sell me his services as an architect / builder. He quoted me at first $300 per sq ft. If my math is right that's $600K for a 2,000 sq ft home. This doesn't include the land. His attitude was "if you can't afford me you can build a log home". That is why I'm taking the class.

JeffandSara
09-02-2006, 09:29 AM
LoggerDon,

I think the logs you guys are referring to are our logs. We did ship them from British Colombia to Bakersfield, California via the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad. We shipped 77 logs, the longest was 57' and the largest butt was 26". The cost of the rail transport was 2700+ dollars per car and we needed 2 cars for a total of a little more than 5400 dollars. The trucking cost from Bakersfield to our house was another 3400 dollars for a grand total of about 9 thousand, not 40k.

Something to think about when you are considering transporting long distance. As the diameter of the logs are doubled the volume is quadrupled. So, you will be transporting one quarter the volume of 1' diameter logs as you would be if you were transporting 2' diameter logs. The one quarter if for the same number of logs but you will need twice as many 1' logs vs. 2' logs for the same finished wall height. Therefore, you will be transporting one quarter the volume in each log but you will be transporting twice as many small logs for a total shipping volume of half. That translates into serious cash savings.

Jeff Ambarian

LoggerDon
09-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the information Jeff. That's a BIG difference in price from what another poster thought someone might have paid.

Can I ask - for that many logs - how large of a log home can be built in sq ft?

It was you wife Sarah who had given me some information earlier. Now my wife Kara will be attending with me on Sept 9,10. Really looking forward to this thing.

JeffandSara
09-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Hey, there, LoggerDon!

Sara here. Our house is just short of 3000 square feet of "official" useable space, depending on how far to the sides of the loft area you consider "useable" because of the gable pitch. It could be more than that if the layout was different, but we chose to have parts of the first and second floors open all the way to the ceiling. Another member, Rick Buchanan was just telling me the other day that his house plan is a "box" 34 x 34 rather than our 36 x 36, and his square footage was very very close to ours.

Glad to hear that Kara will be accompanying you to the class. I think that's optimum, when possible. Have a safe trip and a great time!

Sara :D

dbtoo
09-12-2006, 09:34 AM
We live in Southern California.

Anywhere around LA? Fresh Logs ... http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0912Wildfires12-ON.html