PDA

View Full Version : Holes in Logs - Bugs? Help!

Kepic
06-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi All,

I have recently moved into a log home, which has been my dream for a couple of years now. Anyways, just recently, I noticed that there are little holes here and there on some of the logs. They first looked like a drilled hole, but they are not all the same size (ranging from 1/8 to 1/4 in). I am thinking this is some sort of insect that did this, but I poked a couple of holes, but nothing seems to "live" in there. I hope. Could it be something else? Woodpecker??

I know I should be dealing with this before it is too late, but here is where I need your help. The previous owners left me a big tube of PermaChink, should I use this to fill in the holes? Should I put something in there first? The house is made of white pine (HUGE logs, ranging from 18-24 inches) and was stained with some stain (which I dont think was "log home" stain).

Please help...I can send pics by email here is my email: kepic3@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
[/img]

dbtoo
06-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Use the search engine and search for bugs....

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1352 is a start. There are a number of threads on this issue.

Also, check with your local Cooperative Extension and find out what is local to your area.