PDA

View Full Version : Tesla's New Solar Shingles - What Do You Think?

Cy
10-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Tesla just came out with a new solar roof concept that I find very interesting. Traditionally, solar panel set-ups have been added to existing roofs. With Tesla's new product, the roof and solar cells are combined. The new shingles are designed so that if you view the roof from a certain angle (like from the ground looking up), then you don't see the solar cells at all. It just looks like a regular roof. The shingles are also made from a material that is supposed to last for at least 50 years, giving owners a very long payback time. Prices have not been announced, although articles say the system will cost "no more than a regular roof with solar."

Here's an article on the new system:
http://gizmodo.com/teslas-electric-domination-moves-forward-with-debut-of-1788361779

And a link directly to the company's solar roof page:
https://www.tesla.com/solar

I think the slate shingles would look great on a log cabin. What are your thoughts?

btwalls
10-30-2016, 02:47 PM
I am not an expert but when I looked into a couple products that either came on metal roofing panel or that you could add to a metal roof and were flat against the roof like that they produces far less energy that raised panels. I forget why and it was a few year ago. Would be interesting to see how they produce.
Slate would look pretty cool

rreidnauer
10-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Lower production when placed flat against the roof would occur for two reasons. First, not having the panel's directly facing the sun will cost you some energy loss, as the further angled it is, the more energy is lost to reflection and refraction. Good news is, MPPT type controllers have been quite good at compensating for those losses, and direct facing panels are not really a big of a concern these days. Second thing that causes loss of energy, is heat. Silicon does not perform well when hot. When you place panels flat down, it's going to trap heat behind them, thus lowering output.

CrossingtheRubicon
10-31-2016, 07:56 AM
I think if the price is good, they produce enough power they would look good on a log home

wannabuild
11-02-2016, 10:17 AM
What about when the shingles are covered in snow.
I hate shoveling snow off my driveway, now my roof too..lol
Longevity question comes to mind, as they will have to be replaced at some time.

rreidnauer
11-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Well, they are tempered glass. They'll outlive asphalt tenfold.

Cy
11-03-2016, 05:37 AM
What about when the shingles are covered in snow.

I read somewhere that you can install heating elements in the new system to melt the snow.

loghousenut
11-03-2016, 10:18 AM
I read somewhere that you can install heating elements in the new system to melt the snow.

Gas or electric?

Cy
11-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Gas or electric?

I don't recall. I tried to look up the info but couldn't find anything. I just remember reading somewhere about it coming with a heating element system for snow.

chokonen888
06-05-2017, 04:35 AM
The average home in the United States is 2,467 square feet. According to Tesla’s handy solar calculator, the new system will set an average homeowner back $51,200 for a 70% solar roof. The company also recommends purchasing the additional, but optional, Powerwall battery to store all that new energy at $7,000, bringing the grand total of installation to $58,200.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sleasca/2017/05/16/tesla-solar-roof-cost/#10dd4b877621

John17three
06-05-2017, 05:13 AM
I checked into this, and couldn't even find an installer here in Missouri.