PDA

View Full Version : Log Cut

lost1
06-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Should all of the logs for my home be cut at the same time (white pine), or could I harvest some trees in the fall and some in the spring?

Thanks Again

kyle
06-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Lost1,

Not sure if you've attended the class or not yet, but I remember this question being talked about in the member's section. I did a quick look and didn't find it but I remember it coming up.

So if you can take a look there.

kyle
06-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Lost1,

Just saw you posted your introduction on another post and stated you are building a fully scribed house. If you haven't begun building I strongly recommend attending the class offered through the host's of this site.

Even if you are not planning to build it yourself its worth it. I was beginning to plan a scribed kit home when I came across this site and thank god I did.

So if things haven't progressed yet take the class.

lost1
06-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Thansk for the heads up. Something I should have done. I did a lot of research, and still lost in some areas. If I ahve a chance, I will look into taking this course.

Thanks

RockEngineer
06-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Logs cut at different times of the year will have different amounts of shrinkage and checking. If you use some spring cut when the sap is up and some winter cut when the sap is down you will probably see the difference in the finished structure.

Basil
06-05-2006, 05:31 AM
It would deffinately be a problem, IMO with a scribed home. After you do all that work to fit the logs together, they then shrink at different rates and gap at the seams, unless you are able to FULLY cure them first. I assume you are building soon, which precludes curing your logs...