PDA

View Full Version : Between The Logs

lost1
06-04-2006, 05:10 AM
For a full scribed home, has anyone use any gasketing, foam etc., between the logs, to prevent air leaks? What were your results? I want to stay away from chinking.

Thanks

RockEngineer
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Most of your hand crafters will use some type of gasketing between the logs because they don't take the time to fully scribe the logs for a complete fit. Some kit manufacturers use splines. There are as many methods of sealing between the logs as there are log building methods.

You will find that on this forum most of the participants use the butt and pass method which is the easiest method taught in the class. With butt and pass they use chinking. The class talks about a lot of pros and cons to different methods and I won't go into all those here.

If you are set on a full scribed log home you may want to post on www.lhoti.com forum. The Lhoti forum is not nearly as active as this one but they may be able answer more questions on scribe fit and the air sealing methods. They may also just tell you to hire them and they will take care of it their way. You will have to try to see how much help you get.

Good Luck :)

SusanG
06-16-2006, 02:29 AM
I used backer rods (foam strips in different sizes) and cover with Conceal both products by Sashco

http://www.sashco.com/log/products/index.php

Susan