PDA

View Full Version : I took the solar leap!

rreidnauer
05-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Yep. I gum gone and done it, I did! I'm going solar! As I've been constructing my 2 Kw windmill, I knew that I'd like to also have solar power too. A guy on Ebay, who's only 51 miles from me, is selling off a bunch of 175 watt panels, two at a time. No BS auction, he has buy it now at $4/watt! For those doing the math, that's $1400 for two panels. I bought three lots! Over 1 Killowatts worth baby. I wasn't really ready to buy them yet, but Solar Buzz (http://www.solarbuzz.com/Moduleprices.htm) cost trends show panels are averaging $5.41/watt on the retail market, and not likely to come down the way things are these days. The best I could find was around $4.30/watt for lower wattage panels, and you'd still have to add shipping.

DANG, can't believe I jumped in on this one. But it's all good. I'll have electric on those cloudy, windy Winter days, and electric on those bright, calm Summer days too.

Anyhow, I put a hurtin' on the bank account, and the shoppin' isn't done yet. I just hope the Gov't still has a solar incentive program in place by the time I get them installed.

Shark
05-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Very cool, congrats!
I'm interested in the alternative energy once I get my house started.

I'm sure you've seen this link, but if not:
http://www.dsireusa.org/library/includes/map2.cfm?CurrentPageID=1&State=PA&RE=1&EE=1

rreidnauer
05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Yup, I know about DSIRE. I don't forsee building in PA though. The land and taxes are unreasonably high IMHO.

ponyboy
05-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Sweet! 8)

Now if you just had a stream running through your property.....

gregorama
05-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the tax incentive kicks in only if it's professionally purchased and installed. I hope that's not the case.. Very cool purchase!

Greg

rreidnauer
05-23-2006, 03:09 AM
I can't correct you Greg, because I am not sure, but here are snippets from the tax code (http://www.dsireusa.org/documents/Incentives/US37F.pdf) that make no mention of any such professional installations. Please correct me if I am wrong.

26 USC § 25D

§ 25D.
(a) Allowance of Credit- In the case of an individual, there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax imposed by this chapter for the taxable year an amount equal to the sum of--
(1) 30 percent of the qualified photovoltaic property expenditures made by the taxpayer during such year,

§ 25D.
(d) Definitions- For purposes of this section--

(2) QUALIFIED PHOTOVOLTAIC PROPERTY EXPENDITURE- The term `qualified photovoltaic property expenditure' means an expenditure for property which uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer.

§ 25D.
(e) Special Rules- For purposes of this section--

(1) LABOR COSTS- Expenditures for labor costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the property described in subsection(d) and for piping or wiring to interconnect such property to the dwelling unit shall be taken into account for purposes of this section.

dbtoo
05-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the tax incentive kicks in only if it's professionally purchased and installed.
With the right tax accountant, we can all be professionals! Hell, You're a certified log home builder, that should be enough!

R - go with a 'pure' sine wave inverter!

Jordan Laube
05-23-2006, 07:35 AM
Rod -
Very cool...I have been reading the web site for several months and (without comment) and feel as if I sort of know you b/c you are a regular contributor to the web site...Sounds like you are having fun...Keep updates coming...

On another note - not sure if you (or anyone else) is in need of triple block-and-tackle (not sure if official term)? I just moved to The Hague (Netherlands) and plan on doing some looking around at the local port and possibly going to Rotterdam (I have been told it is one of the largest ports in the world). I may also do quick field trip to scandanavian countries on a long weekend for kicks and see what kind of tools / houses are in that neck of the woods...

Anyway - congrats....
J-

dbtoo
05-23-2006, 08:09 AM
not sure if you (or anyone else) is in need of triple block-and-tackle
If you find triple's and post them here, someone will probably purchase them from you. If not, you can always sell them on e-bay.

rreidnauer
05-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the compliment Jordan.

I already got my eight 8" triples, but I agree with dbtoo, that if you list anything you find reasonably in the sale section, they'll disappear quickly.

Jordan Laube
05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Will do....After we get settled in - I will do some sniffing around and post any positive findings...
J-