PDA

View Full Version : Earthquakes?

Carmen
05-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Has anyone here seen how an Ellsworth-style log home handles an earthquake? I realize part of the outcome would depend on the foundation and how well the home is attached to the foundation. But as far as the structure itself goes, have you seen/heard of an outcome or can anyone here speculate..?

JeffandSara
05-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi, Carmen-

We've only had a couple of small and medium sized quakes since we started our home in 2001 (it was solid as a rock in those), so can't speak to big ones. Seems like there was some discussion of about how the Seattle area Skip-style homes weathered that. Perhaps someone will have details of that.

I will say, however, that we live in the highest possible seismic hazard zone, and had to have both county plan approval and an engineer's "stamp" in order to get our permits. With an "integrated" pier foundation-- above-ground piers that are connected by a continuous in-ground footing-- the engineer felt confident about the seismic stability of our design, and the county plan-check guys never batted an eyelash.

When the Big One hits, we'll let you know how we actualy do. :D

Sara :D

rreidnauer
05-19-2006, 05:00 AM
If I recall right, Skip's three story home was only a short distance from the epicenter of a fairly large quake, (measured in yards?) and only suffered losses of a few pictures/collectibles falling off the walls.

dbtoo
05-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Has anyone here seen how an Ellsworth-style log home handles an earthquake?

Paul did. http://www.paulandellen.com/loghome/je/cj2001a.htm

(I don't think the man every sleeps, how does he find time to work, write and build a log home?)

Carmen
05-19-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm in the New Madrid fault zone (that fault caused the earthquake that made the Mississippi to run backwards on itself a couple hundred years ago) and there are little quakes in the bootheel, but the scientist-y people keep talking like we're supposed to have our own "Big One" and should have had it by now. Yet we have no earthquake resistance guidelines in the codes here.

It sounds like the log structure itself should be fine if built correctly, and we'll concentrate on the foundation. Thanks for the responses.