PDA

View Full Version : I am still considering a kit

jbritely
05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
I have read most of the information on the
Log Home Builders Association (http://www.loghomebuilders.org/) and some of this forum. It has given me a lot of great information and and things to think about. However, I am still thinking about buying a kit.

I have looked at kits here http://clearwaterloghomes.com/plans.html . They are close to where I want to put the home so transportation shouldn't be that much (it gets into the thousands really easily). Besides all the reasons here not to build a kit they also have not been responsive to inquiries (What's the total cost, whats included, etc.). Aparently they don't want my money.

I would really like to build my own cabin but I don't think I have the time. This would be a vacation / second home. I usually spend 2 or 3 weeks in Idaho each summer and it seems like it would be years before I had something I could stay in even durring the summer (don't need heat or insulation). I also worry about a half built log cabin rotting. How would the building inspectors react to such a slow building process?

Finally, I understand the butt and pass style and pinning. Sounds like a strong design. Two things I don't get though: (1) how much shaping happens as you stack the logs and pin them, seems like there it would be very labor intensive to shape the logs to match or there would be way too much space unless the logs were almost perfect, (2) the two ridge pole support logs won't shrink like the horizontal logs, so won't that create stress? This makes me think there are problems with the "Skip" method too. Working with dowels or squared lumber might not be as authentic but seems like it would be alot faster and still has the nice natural look.

I'm not normall this wordy, sorry. I'm sure many of these questions are answered in the class but I won't be able to take that for awhile and $800 seems like a big commitment.

rreidnauer
05-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Welcome jbritely,

I certainly won't talk you out of a kithome, as building your own home from scratch isn't for everyone. Of course, you've already found some of the reasons many of us have decided to, and seen how unresponsive a manufacturer can be. Have you read some of the kithome horror stories? If time is an issue, than that fairly much settles it, except the class does lightly cover why you may not have the time, and how to do something about that. The class also discusses the facts and myths of rot.

You say that you understand the butt and pass and pinning construction, but your questions indicate that you don't fully understand how it works. (that's not an insult. I didn't understand it either until I attended the class) Unlike some of the chinkless styles, you don't try to shape the logs to match. In fact it's discouraged to do so. And, you are misunderstanding the construction techniques, and how log shrinking effects (or rather doesn't effect) the structure. When the trick was finally told, the whole class let out a big "Ahhhh Haaaa!"

Finally, $800 is a far, far cry from what the kit manufacture ends up clipping you for. But if you got the money, and the patience to work with the manufacturer and subcontractors, and truely feel uncomfortable building your own, then by all means proceed. But remember, LHBA has a money back guarantee! Though, I don't know if it would be honored, since, as far as I know, there has never been a student who asked for his/her money back and tested the guarantee. :D

MistyAndRuss
05-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Make sure you know what you are getting with your kit if you go that way. After months of talking to a rep with one of the kit companies I thought she understood what we wanted. Then she missed something & the contract price went up, then she put in the wrong log size it went up again and so on. It was going to cost about $100,000 for what they call dry in. Just read everything and buyer beware! We will most likely sign up for the june class this week. Good luck with what ever you do!!!!

jbritely
05-17-2006, 06:27 PM
rreidnauer,

No offense taken. I should have said I understand what butt and pass is, not the details of how to do it. I have read some of the kit horror stories here, but I keep finding more. They sound alot like the stories I have heard about contractors in general. I guess I am just trying to figure out a bit more about Skip's butt and pass method since the class seems focued on that. From your description it sounds like chinking is the main disadvantage. Do you have to chick more as the logs shrink?

As far as rotting, why do you need such big eaves if there isn't a problem with rot?

Misty&Russ,

That is exactly the big disadvantage I see with kits.

I have built a few wood sheds that were kind of a pole and beam type on concrete piers so that part seems like a good method to me.

Basil
05-17-2006, 06:55 PM
big eaves and roof overhangs are what prevent rot. I still can't figure why builders put together log homes that allow the logs to get wet. A wet log is a log that is rotting.

loghomefun
05-17-2006, 07:13 PM
From your description it sounds like chinking is the main disadvantage. Do you have to chick more as the logs shrink?

As far as rotting, why do you need such big eaves if there isn't a problem with rot?

Chinking is an advantage. Because it breathes a little bit it helps moisture get out from between logs if or when it ends up there. With Skip's method you should not ever need to re-chink (at least not in your lifetime). After the first year or so you might want to touch up your chinking due to log shrinkage, which is not re-chinking.

I think that the student homes featured on the site have big eaves and overhangs because those students listened to the advice in class. I remember being told that it is worth spending a little extra money on more roof, because it will really help protect the bottom logs from suffering water damage. Sounds like good advice to me, I have seen maybe 8 or 9 kit homes and every single one had visible water damage and it was pretty obvious that longer roof over hangs would have really helped avoid that.

Doug

ChrisAndWendy
05-18-2006, 03:26 AM
I have not started my "Skip style" home yet but I have looked at many "kit" makers and their model homes. Many of which were 5 years plus, many of them had signs of major problems, signs of starting rot and walls starting to bow. We stopped at a maker's model and saw the wall logs curving outward at the butt joints. The maker said "Oh, we fixed that problem". Also as stated before make sure you have everything down on paper before you sign. I talked to one maker who started at $65K and ended up with a $97K quote after every thing needed for a dry shell was included. With some of the horror stories I would make the builder put up a bond for your home before the first hammer hits a nail. These are some of the reasons I will be building my home myself with the help that I choose. So in the end I have the total control to build the best house in the world. Chris

Quinton
05-18-2006, 06:46 AM
I have read most of the information on the
Log Home Builders Association (http://www.loghomebuilders.org/) and some of this forum. It has given me a lot of great information and and things to think about. However, I am still thinking about buying a kit.

I have looked at kits here http://clearwaterloghomes.com/plans.html . They are close to where I want to put the home so transportation shouldn't be that much (it gets into the thousands really easily). Besides all the reasons here not to build a kit they also have not been responsive to inquiries (What's the total cost, whats included, etc.). Aparently they don't want my money.

I would really like to build my own cabin but I don't think I have the time. This would be a vacation / second home. I usually spend 2 or 3 weeks in Idaho each summer and it seems like it would be years before I had something I could stay in even durring the summer (don't need heat or insulation). I also worry about a half built log cabin rotting. How would the building inspectors react to such a slow building process?

Finally, I understand the butt and pass style and pinning. Sounds like a strong design. Two things I don't get though: (1) how much shaping happens as you stack the logs and pin them, seems like there it would be very labor intensive to shape the logs to match or there would be way too much space unless the logs were almost perfect, (2) the two ridge pole support logs won't shrink like the horizontal logs, so won't that create stress? This makes me think there are problems with the "Skip" method too. Working with dowels or squared lumber might not be as authentic but seems like it would be alot faster and still has the nice natural look.

I'm not normall this wordy, sorry. I'm sure many of these questions are answered in the class but I won't be able to take that for awhile and $800 seems like a big commitment.

First, if you do go the route of kits, MAKE sure that you UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING they will do and make sure that EVERYTHING is in WRITING!!! Then get a final cost from them. (How about the logs? Do YOU have to unload them with a crane, or do they ?)

Who will do the actual work? They say they reassemble the house, but what about the interior? Foundation, Plumbing, Electrical, Septic?

To answer your questions,

The gaps between logs WILL grow, so yes chinking probably should be redone after a year to two. The class does not teach about shaping the logs. (already a lot of time to get them up the walls, let alone put it up, see where to shave off, take it down, shave, put back, up, redo process for EACH log! Yech! :shock: )

From what I understand, the wooden logs shrink around the center point of the log, not the ends. I could be wrong on this. The butt and pass pins things together, including the Ridge Pole Supports and walls. This prevents the settling issues.

Hope that helps!

JeffandSara
05-18-2006, 07:29 AM
RE: chinking re-do.

Skip hasn't. We won't. Yes, you can fill any gaps that do happen if your logs continue to shrink a lot after you chink. But as noted, it's not re-chinking, just touching up. At Skip's, where the logs HAVE shrunken away from the chinking, there is no draft (I stuck my little finger in on a blustery March day to check!), so it's a cosmetic thing, not a structural one. And even the cosmetic doesn't happen to "offend" me, personally.

And part of the beauty of a chinked house is that the logs don't NEED to touch or be equidistant all along the length of each wall-log. They need to touch in the corners and they need to be spiked properly, but in between, any areas where the gap is larger or smaller just means you fill it with more or less chinking. :D

As I said earlier this week to another couple who was considering kits and the class in this section of the forums, the hands-on, do-it-yourself style taught in the class, realistically, isn't THE way for everyone. It's a lot of hard work and you have to want to tackle that, and take full responsibility for your home project.

However, IF you feel you might have that sort of personality and endurance, my husband and I HIGHLY recommend the class. The outlay of cash to attend seems high... but not when compared to what you might pay to a kit manufacturer/builder, who might or might not (from what we've seen personally in an area with many log kit homes) be knowledgeable, accountable and/or honest -- all concerns about the comparative structural benefits of either method aside.

We love our house built using the methods we learned at the Association classes, and if we had an opportunity to build again, we'd do it again without hesitation.

We know people who have build milled log homes within the past 6 or 7 years, and been very happy so far. If you choose to go that route, we hope you'll have similar results. One thing that I would say might increase your chances of satisfaction, based on older "kit" homes we've seen weathering in neighborhood near us, is to go with a company that offers full-length logs. Many of the problems we've seen around here seem to be because of the practice of using uniforn short-length logs. They seem to tend to "spring" and leak and draft and deteriorate. And ANY wooden structure, IMO, is benefitted by a generous overhang.

Best wishes, whatever you choose!

Sara :D

rreidnauer
05-18-2006, 08:41 AM
A wet log is a log that is rotting.

Well . . . . . more accurately, a log that is allowed to remain wet, is a rotting log.

loghomefun
05-24-2006, 05:45 PM
To get an idea of what can happen, when you buy a kit, you might also want to look at

http://www.reliablebuildersinmaine.com/page6.html This couple share their log home experince (a tragedy of errors)

http://www.mariarose.com/logcabin.htm

http://www.savetheshumways.com/

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/kit_log_homes_horror_stories.htm

Some people might say "it is just the bad companies that produce these bad stories," but I recognize a few well known names in those links.

Doug

hawkiye
06-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Not having the time is a legitimate reason. However let me say you'd be better off doing a stick frame with log siding then a kit. The $800 is a drop in the bucket to what you'll spend for the kit and not get a quality product. I just have a problem with building a house that the roof has to be lowered periodically and the doors and window frames have to have huge gaps built in to poorly accomadete the flaws in their design

If I were you I would seriously consider a stick frame cabin. As for the Skip method being legit well I don't know about you but a 30 year track record with a web site full of awsome examples by real people you can email and talk to seems to put that to rest for me.

Blayne

lisaandmark
07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
We built using Skip's method in 2001. We have not had to rechink at all. Not in one spot.

We have two kit homes that gone up next to us. The one behind us was an owner-builder. He had more problems than I can count -- a big one was that when his logs came in bundles, they were numbered, but they didn't tell him which bundle had which numbered log in it, so he spent weeks searching for each particular log. They were so disgusted by the time they "finished" they sold and moved away. (and boy were they cranky!!) The lady that bought the house is having problem after problem with it.

The other house across the street is an ongoing nightmare. They went through several contractors, had problems with warped and twisted logs (theirs is the dovetail kind) and just last week, the roof of the (finally finished) garage blew off and ended up in their front yard. I still can't figure that one out as it wasn't even really a windy day.

Meanwhile we sit very content and happy in our "Skip" home and haven't had a problem with anything at all. We have had weather this week that hit 115, and it has stayed nice and cool behind these thick walls and thick cement chink. We are going on 6 years in this house and still going strong!

Lisa

Kama
07-31-2006, 11:30 AM
I realize that this an old thread, but I just got off the phone with a realtor about an unfinished kit for sale and this seems like a good place to post this.

It's been sitting there for two years. When you at the openings, you can see the structural cracks happening in the logs from the scoop cut into the bottom of each log. The contractor only worked on weekends and dragged it out so long that the couple finally had to give up the whole thing.

There's mold growing and because of the neglect, the deck, roof and god only knows what else needs to be redone.

Sad, sad, sad.

rreidnauer
05-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Like Kama, I'll drag this thread back to the top, as it seems like a good place to stick my entry without starting a fresh thread.

This past weekend, I was in upstate PA looking at a potential property. While up there, I stopped by my uncle's camp. He had recently replaced a mobile home with a small kit log home. (unbeknownst to me before he already did it, otherwise I may have talked him out of it) In expected fashion, he told of many complaints about the builder coming up short. Doors that wouldn't close, sections improperly weathersealed, roof leaks, masonry work not complete as requested, to name a few. I didn't want to pick his place apart, so I didn't ask or look to see if door and window frames were slotted for shrinkage. He said he's been correcting finishing up many of the odds and ends over the last year, since he can't get the builder to return anymore. Seems to be a common pattern, eh?

More food for thought for those considering the kithome route.

mhiles
05-02-2007, 06:13 AM
There's a certain, frugal, financial methodology to the LHBA processes.

If you're a filthy rich Hollywood producer, then you can afford a $15 million handcrafted log home to your exacting specifications.

However, most of us are attracted to the LHBA, not just because we like log homes -- but because we like not having a significant mortgage.

My wife and I were already on the path to financial freedom before we even decided to explore building a home ourselves. We explored many "green" building methods for sustainability, ecology, and self-reliance.

I can assure you that $800 for the class is money well spent.

I've spent that much in other materials in doing my research in building methods -- straw bale, cordwood masonry, adobe/rammed earth, etc...

The practical building methods (pier foundations, etc...) taught in the LHBA course will lend themselves to many building areas besides B&P method log homes.

Our priorities were, and continue to be pure pragmatism, and unemotional, financial decisionmaking.

rreidnauer
05-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Since things are a bit quiet on the board, and I brought up the subject of my uncle's kithome, I figured I may as well post a picture too.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/titantornado/uncs_cabin.jpg

Nothing too fancy, about 850 s.f., two bedroom, one bath, sitting on a Superior Walls foundation. He says he has to run two dehumidifiers continuously. :? His lot is great though. Just a few miles South of Galeton, PA, sitting on top of a mountain, in a small grove of pines of about 5 acres. He's planted some fruit trees, and grows some christmas trees on the back end of the property. Unfortunately, there is no work within a reasonable drive of the area.

Anyhow, nice place. But it isn't a LHBA home! :wink:

nobleknight
05-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Rod,

For less than 1000 square feet, I bet he paid a bundle as well :!:

Tom
nobleknight
class 01-15-05

Kola
05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
I admit it is nice and many folks love those kinda homes.

I like things "made by hand".

I'd be interested on the price of it, too.

kola

rreidnauer
05-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Yea, I didn't have the guts to ask what he paid, and he didn't offer to tell, so I left it at that, but I'm sure he spent well more (for just his home) than my entire budget for land and an 1800 s.f. LHBA home!

I too, don't care for that look. Kit log homes over the years keep getting more and more flat looking walls, where it's gotten to the point that you can't justly call it "log" home. And really, looking at the picture, note that the two bottom courses aren't even logs. That's "log siding" over a portion of the basement walls! Heck, may as well just frame up the house with 2x4's and side the whole thing. I mean, if all you're after is a look, why bother using solid timbers?

Nah, give me natural logs with character and big honkin mortar joints. :D

Mark OBrien
05-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I was working over in Lake Ozark the other day tiling a floor and on my way home ran across a neighborhood of about 7 small kit log homes. These have been there 20-22 years according to a guy on the street when I stopped and asked about the homes.
These homes were in terrible shape! They had small roof overhangs and every last one of them had extensive water damage from what I could see just from the street. Warping, rot, both dry rot and active wet rot. They were built close to grade so that rainwater has splashed on them for years. Every one of them had windows that were jammed and warped. Floors that were off-kilter and weak and shifting. They basically looked shoddy and sad, like and old trailer park full of crackheads and rusted cars.
Give me a good old-fashioned butt and pass home with a big roof and I'm a happy camper!

Kola
05-10-2007, 10:54 AM
sounds like another horror story for kit homes.

Honestly, Some questions to consider:

was it the kit itself that was milled poorly, 2 bys cut uneven, etc?

was it designed poorly? (again the blame goes on the kit manufacturer)

was it shoddy construction?..built by a bunch of zipperheads who call themselves contractors?

was there owner/maintainence/inspection neglect?

or was it a combination?

I guess it is hard to tell unless all these avenues are explored.

I have no desire to waste my hard earned money on any kit nor will I pay anyone to construct my loghome. Years back, I hired some contractors to do some work for me and I had to literally babysit them..inspect their work and have them re-do it right, constantly call them up and ask if they are working today, keep reminding them to do the work as per the contract and continually instruct them to follow the damn blueprints. It was at that moment I decided to do things myself...and if I ever had to hire anyone ever again I would rquire a signed detailed contract with a start date and finish date, proof of insurance and a set price. If they did not finish on time, a penalty fee would be assessed per day. (I did allow provisions due to bad weather etc (if it was an outside job or death in family etc). Good contractors are hard to find and they are always busy but it is worth the wait if you need them.

Kola

hawkiye
05-19-2007, 09:21 AM
haha nothing like reviving an old thread. I bought a small well drilling rig last year for drilling my well and the nice folks who I bought it from had a small kit home. It looked nice and they had not had it finished long but I immediatly noticed I could see daylight between some of the turned logs. I didn't say anything but it was obvious these logs (now dowels) had warped considerably already and were pulling away from each other enough that I could see daylight. I felt bad for them becuase they didn't know what they were in for yet but what could I do? I didn't want to get into it with them and they will have to find out for themselves but I did get a super deal on the well drilling rig.

dcbrewmeister
06-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Another minus for "kit builders". Several years ago my father built a home (stick frame) for them to live in now that us kids are gone out of the house. 22 acres in rural Maine... not that a lot of Maine is not rural. He had to have the power poles run 7/10ths of a mile to get power to it... Mom and dad are not going to live off-grid... I asked why he didn't build a log home. My father does a lot of carpentry work and is very good at it. The answer I got was "Not after seeing the way David and Debbies house looks after only 4 years. No way do I want a log home."

It was a kit.

ponyboy
06-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Here's a kit house made from "Cultured Logs" (concrete). They even have cracks on the ends. :shock:

http://www.concretelogs.com/index.php

Shark
06-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Here's a kit house made from "Cultured Logs" (concrete). They even have cracks on the ends. :shock:

http://www.concretelogs.com/index.php

& they weigh 100 lbs per linear foot! wow.

Kola
06-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I wonder what those ugly fake things cost?
---------------------------------------------------------------
anyway on the subject of those real wooden log "kits". They make good firewood. :lol:

..just wait about 2-3 years and then they are well seasoned. If you wait 4-5 years they are rotten and very good for compost. :D

usually they just fall off the walls too, no disassembly required. :cry:

kola 8)

rreidnauer
06-18-2007, 09:56 AM
I asked why he didn't build a log home. My father does a lot of carpentry work and is very good at it. The answer I got was "Not after seeing the way David and Debbies house looks after only 4 years. No way do I want a log home."

It was a kit.

Ah yes. The sadly misinformed. My father has always been under the same impression, and I can't convince him otherwise. Unfortunately, kithomes have the majority of the spotlight, and all log homes suffer for it.

Ponyboy, I like those cultured logs. Looks incredible, and probably will hold up forever. Thermal mass must be through the roof. Many different styles too. I absolutely love the rough hewn, large chinking style like in this pic: http://www.concretelogs.com/images/SeeleyLake/seeley6.jpg Though, I bet the price tag that comes with them is more than I'd ever want to swallow.

Kola
06-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Rod?? you would take cultured logs over REAL wood logs?

say it ain't true? :cry:

Kola

rreidnauer
06-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Rod?? you would take cultured logs over REAL wood logs?

say it ain't true? :cry:

Kola

Nah, not at $70~80/s.f walls only, $140/s.f turnkey. Especially when I'm looking at $15~30/s.f. the LHBA way. :wink:

huffjohndeb
12-23-2007, 09:01 PM
I am considering a kit home. I think it is wise to explore as many options as possible before parting with my cold hard cash. From my research it seems that bad contractors are the biggest cause of dissatisfaction in the experience. So first off I plan to do most if not all of the work on my home.

Here is a list of types of "kits" that I have found. Not in order of preference.

The truck full of random length dowels:
I have to stack these and knowing me I?d go insane trying to minimize the butt joints (wall splices) which I hate. I might as well build out of real logs rather than piece the walls together. I visited a model for a well known log home company and right beside the $4,000 front door at eye level there was a 6-8 inch spliced log in a 6-8 foot long wall.

Hand Crafted$$$$
The hand crafted, build it twice home. Mega Bucks, need I say more. I love real logs that are that run the entire length of the wall. But ?

The pre-cut package:
Each log is milled and cut to length with CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) equipment. The equipment does not miss-read the ruler or subtract an inch from the measurement like I do when I forget the measurement. I pretty much do everything the same way as far as prep regardless of the building method. I stack and screw the numbered logs together. The door and window openings are precision cut. Herein lies one problem, what if the window would work better if it were moved to right by two feet. I could study blue prints for months and never get perfect window and door placement as I would by standing and looking at the view or lack thereof.

The Skip Method:
Regardless of the approach that I plan to take. I would love to take the class. I do not have the time to do it all from scratch. I did this on a 240 square foot shed and it is too much work to harvest peel and stack logs. I love it, but it would take me too long to build a house this way.

I will have some pretty serious cash to spend when the county buys 10 acres of my other property for a reservoir. I will not have enough to give it to the common ?contractor? knuckleheads so that they can do it twice and still get it wrong. Or I can pay dearly for someone who does it right, but probably have to wait for them to be available. Given a choice I would rather pay someone twice as much to do it right than pay someone twice to do it wrong.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated and read with a great deal of interest.

rreidnauer
12-24-2007, 08:27 AM
While I'm not going to try talking you out of a kit home, I will offer some other factors that may be of consideration. Whichever you choose, you're probably just comparing differences of the shell. The foundation, roof, and all the interior work remains pretty much the same, so no time is saved there. To save time (though not recommended by LHBA) you can build Skip style using untreated telephone poles and use a crane to speed progress. Better, since you're already looking at spending some money, would be to buy logs, and hire a crew to peel them, then a crane to set them. You should be able to get your shell up in little over a month, well less if you go the telephone pole route. If you don't want the hassles, also hire a site manager, but with the understanding YOU are the boss.

Another factor is time and cost AFTER the build. Any milled or machined log will ultimately require weather protection in the form of sealers and caulking. The cost and time of resealing a kithome every year or two is quite demanding. The way LHBA builds, eliminates practically ALL maintenance. This fact was an unexpected bonus for me when I took the course. I knew Skip style was the most affordable construction route, I just didn't realize it was the most affordable route after the build too.

Lastly, is simply, what did you get for your money? Spending more to get less just doesn't make sense to me. If I were to buy a kit home at a premium, only to have leaking wall splices, jamming doors or windows, and the annual maintenance, I'd have to ask myself, what did I get for the extra money?

The main thing to remember is, you can do as much, or as little as you want, depending on how much money you have to throw at the project,

huffjohndeb
12-24-2007, 09:34 AM
One of the appealing factors of the kit home is having plans that I can submit to the building department that have survived the scrutiny of other building departments. I don't even look at companies that only have computer generated renderings of log homes, if they can't use a picture of a house that has actually been built I'm not interested in anything they have to offer.

I certainly have not ruled my own variation of the Skip way. i.e use machines to save my back etc. I have access to a person who has built some very nice hand crafted log homes. I would love to build from scratch but I don't want to take 2 years to build it.

Being from the generation of... not the "Me" generation or the "Now" generation rather the "Me Now" generation I wan't to git-r-done ASAP. I plan to get a CO as soon as possible, my county requires a safe, sealed, secured home that has 1 working bathroom a water supply and approved waste disposal. If I choose to live with a plywood subfloor and cabinets made out of milk crates for ever they don't care. My idea is to be able to sleep in it ASAP and finish it in my spare time. This will not be my primary home it will be my place to get away too maintain my sanity. It will allow me to get away from the SUV driving idiots that will pass me on the shoulder because I slow down to allow the red light to turn green so I don't have to stop. Of course they win the race to the redlight and stop in front of me which forces me to stop as I wait from them to quit fiddling with their cell phone. Of course the light has turned green just in time for me to just roll on down the road but the Scummer in the Hummer is in my freaking way.

Have a Happy Holiday or as I was raised Merry Christmas! If you choose to celebrate a different holiday I do not have a problem with it just don't prevent me from enjoying the Christmas season as I see fit.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The ACLUites seem to overlook the 2nd statement in the First Amendment .. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

I will now step off of my soap box and turn the floor over to someone else...

Kola
12-24-2007, 09:50 AM
John and Deb,

Before I took the LHBA class I really liked this company. You can purchase a "shell" (lots of options), have them erect it and then sub-contract out the rest and/or do some of it yourself.

http://www.highmountainloghomes.com/plans/special.html

If you take the class you will get a better perspective of log home building and all the processes that go with it.

2 cents,
Kola

Jimbob11
12-24-2007, 06:50 PM
I was looking at your log home pics and noticed how uniform the logs were. I was thinking "so this guy's against milling logs??? you gotta be blanking me!!..."

After pondering this for a while, I happened to notice the size of the blades of grass in relation to the house....er.....uh....what the...

Kick butt model by the way...

huffjohndeb
12-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I got the class as a surprise Christmas gift. I'll be attending the Jan 19th-20th class. My wife Deb will travel with me but was not able to get in the class, although she is on the waitlist. This is a question for others who are like her she loves log homes but she is not a handy-woman type by any stretch of the inagination. So if theres anyone out there who is also not a handy-woman/man but has taken the class, would it be worth it for Deb to attend the class also. I think she would learn some of the things better than I would because I already know the all the answers or at least think I do lol. I think it would also help for us to be able to discuss our building process in the same language. For example, If I say should I run the purlins vertically or horizontally she will know what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts?

tatermates
12-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Deb really needs to attend the class. It will give her the same level of appreciation for the LHBA techniques that you will acquire. There is no substitute for being on the same page when it comes to making a commitment to invest the time and money and physical labor involved in such a major indeavor. My wife doesn't have the same depth of understanding regarding the process (and doesn't really need it), but she understands the basics and the ultimate financial outcome. She thoroughly enjoyed the class (and Wallace Lodge), and spends alot of time on the LHBA website. Her exposure helps her plan and maassist in design decisions as well as provide valuable input. Take it from someone that just celebrated 35 years of marriage....the more you stay involved as a couple, the ahppier and more content you will be. NOTHING surpasses a deep and loving relationship built on mutual respect and admiration.
Go to the class together, even if you have to wait for the next class to do it. God Bless.

roger

rreidnauer
12-25-2007, 09:11 AM
One of the appealing factors of the kit home is having plans that I can submit to the building department that have survived the scrutiny of other building departments.
Sounds good in theory, but a perfect example is my uncle's "proven" kithome (pictured earlier in this thread) who STILL doesn't have his CO. (not that it hasn't stopped him from living in it) :o) Seems the only thing certain in life, is that there is nothing certain in life.

Actually, I do have a question. Is there a reason you're not considering already built log homes? If you got the financing, it can put a lot of potential construction headaches behind you.

huffjohndeb
12-25-2007, 11:11 AM
I already own the property. I want to build my own house I can build it cheaper than buying it already built. It will be my house like I want it well ok like my wife wants it. I would show a picture of it but I don't know how to paste/post a picture.