PDA

View Full Version : Barna Log Home kits vs. Taking the class?????

MistyAndRuss
05-16-2006, 06:14 AM
My husband and I want a log home. We are in the process of getting land now. We have been talking to Barna log homes and I made some changes to one of their models its about 1600 sqft. For what they call DRY In its going to cost $85,646.14. We have to put $500 down but I saw this web site before we signed anythng. Now we are thinking about the class. We have been told the land has timber on it by the real estate agency. We are waiting to find out what kind of timber. I'm not looking for the how tos I would just like some constructive comments to help us decide what our next step should be. :?:

Quinton
05-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Can't say as to what YOU want in a home but think of the following:

Almost EVERY construction project will go OVER budget!! EVERY!!

So, $85,000 will NOT be your dry in price.. more like $100,000 plus.
If you change ONE thing, just one, after people get going, the price gets outrageous!! (like the door or a window placement)

Now, on his website they say they get you an "independent, self-employed referral crew." "Also, through our nationwide distributor organization, we have a list of local builders familiar with our homes that we can make available to you."

Hmm.. I would make sure that MY house would be the WHOLE crews 5th or more LOG home, (not stick frame nor manufactured home), LOG home!! Many stories abound of people not having the experience. OR the crew Leader has experience, but the rest of the crew does not.

BEWARE! I do not want someone who is "familiar" with what is happening, but someone who KNOWS what is happening!!

Now, the roof and logs can be expensive, but then you STILL need to go and hire someone to do the INSIDE of the house!! Electrical is not done, plumbing not done, kitchen is not done, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc..
All this will add up to another $ 50,000 to $100,000 in costs.

"Even though our company recognizes the advantages and disadvantages of both construction methods, JBLS has chosen to adopt the settling system as our standard construction method."

They use the settle method of Log home construction. Hmm.. could be problems down the road if YOU do NOT have an idea of what you need to do to prevent damage to doors, windows, roof, etc..

LHBA is a place is for people that want to do things themselves. If you think you have the $, time and energy to do this, then I would definetely check out the class.[/i]

Basil
05-16-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm building my home now. I didn't like the idea of a "kit" home, where all my logs looked like they came off an assembly line, I'm young and just starting a family, have a good job and good relationships with several local banks. Even with all that going for me, it is hard work. There is never enough time or money and the work is hard, but I expect to move in and own (without a mortgage) In another year and a half. If you like planning, doing lots of hard work, dealing with subs, heights, etc. then you might really prefer building the lhba way. I personally like it (most of the time) and know that when I'm done I'll be glad I did it. It's definately not for everyone. I expect that maybe three or four people in each class actually build a home themselves and live in it. The houses that most members turn out are very rustic looking because, lets face it, we're not professional builders. We didn't spend years learning our craft, we spent enough time to learn the basics.

What you refer to as "dry in" is getting a roof, walls, and subfloor. It may (probably) includes basic windows and doors, but nothing fancy. It won't include plumbing, electric, floor treatments, interior work, and so on. Those are jobs you can do yourself and save a bundle, without the work involved to build a house from scratch.

So, I don't think anybody here can tell you what's better for you. The class was kind of fun, it was DEFFINATELY educational even if you never swing a hammer again.

And you get free cookies!

Scott

dbtoo
05-16-2006, 09:23 AM
We have been talking to Barna log homes

The kit manufactures supply the logs, plans, etc., but the builders who put it up are the ones you will have to deal with.

Get a good lawyer! <a href="http://www.ai.org/judiciary/opinions/archive/08280302.ewn.html">http://www.ai.org/judiciary/opinions/archive/08280302.ewn.html</a> Protect your ASSets !!! The above link opened my eyes to quite a few things.

The manufacturer is almost NEVER held responsible for the construction of the house (... a 'well-settled rule that a principal is not ordinarily liable for the torts of its independent contractor.')

I, too, was going to have a kit log home built. Now, after the class, I wouldn't even consider it.

But if having one built is the only option, then the class will provide information which will help you to understand what questions you need to be asking.

And the LHBA website has a lot of information available, review as much as you can. ?(It's probably part of why LHBA and its members aren't well loved by log kit builders/dealers/manufacturers.)

<a href="/categories/articles/log-home-horror-stories">http://www.loghomebuilders.org/categories/articles/log-home-horror-stories</a>?- Read through the lawsuits, it's eye opening, mind blowing. (But ... unfortunately, it isn't just log homes that experience these types of issues.)

dbtoo
05-16-2006, 09:32 AM
We have been told the land has timber on it by the real estate agency.
You haven't seen the land? Is the land suitable for building? There's lots of land out here in AZ. You can buy 40+ acres for a few thousand bucks. Unfortunately, there's no water, electric or even roads to the land. ( Timber, Shure, lots and lots of trees. (Most of which you couldn't use to build with, but it's got it.)
It's just my opinion, but, shouldn't you see what you are getting into? It's my opinion that many (not all) real estate agents will tell you what you want to hear or spin it so it sounds really good.

MistyAndRuss
05-16-2006, 09:42 AM
dbtoo
Thank you for the concern about the land. We are waiting to get more info from the agent then we are going to take a trip to look at a few we have narrowed down. But there is no way I'd buy something I had not seen.

dbtoo
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Thats Good !

(p.s. If a realtor says that 'power (or water) is nearby', translate that to 'not in your lifetime!' )

Logbear
05-16-2006, 11:25 AM
I recommend the class. I took the class about 20 years ago, and built my "real log house" about 16 years ago. "Kit logs" aren't really logs. They're either dowels or timbers. I have a friend that asked me for help with their "log home" because of a settling problem that came up. But they actually have "kit log homes". I couldn't help them with their settling problems. Real butt and pass log homes just don't settle.
Save yourselves thousands of dollars, take the class, and build your own home. Avoid settling problems, and don't breath any fumes from preservatives or pressure treatments. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have lots of wet weather and I've never had any mold or mildew problems.
Even if you don't take the class, keep on posting here and you'll get more info.

JeffandSara
05-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Misty and Russ--

We considered kit homes before hearing about Skip Ellsworth back in 2000. He had some serious concerns about a few of the kit home issues, even though we had always planned to build our home ourselves. Through the methods taught in the class, we found a building style that suited our personal style better, offered a more practical approach to some of the concerns we'd had, and kept us from being at the mercy of the integrity (or lack thereof) of a log home manufacturing company.

We've been living in the log house we built for a year now, and we couldn't be happier. Scott's probably right...we think a LOT of people who took the course with us didn't actually build. And frankly, there were people we met there who we HOPED would not attempt to build because they didn't seem to have either the endurance or the common sense it does require. I wouldn't say that this way is right for everyone. There's a lot of hard work and planning involved. But it was fabulous for us, and it's also worked well for others we've met who have taken the class and been building. I even met one couple years ago who paid a contractor they trusted to take the course and build their house for them, because they didn't have the time, energy, construction knowledge to take on a full-sized house themselves.

The information taught is sound, and we feel it's a good value. If you're people who like hard work and hands-on, it might be right for you.

Best wishes--
Sara :D