PDA

View Full Version : May class

shrcek
04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Anybody going to May 6-7 class? My husband and father-in-law are going. We are local and plan to build on our property in Duvall, WA. My husband and father-in-law will be most involved in the construction process so they are going to the class, but I am the one that reads the forums and likes to share/exchange ideas with others. We are curious who else is signed up for the May class and where they are from.

Shelby

rreidnauer
04-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Wow, you are quite local. A definite plus. I'm kind of curious though. Being local as you are, what brought you to your decision to take the class at this time? Have you recently moved into the area, or have you just discovered the class? I'm just curious as to how the "very local" locals come to be LHBA members.

If my question is getting too personal, I won't take offense if you tell me to "bug off." :lol:

shrcek
04-16-2006, 04:07 PM
We actually just became aware of the class and were quite surprised to find that Skip's ranch is just down the road....literally 6 miles max from our property! We bought our property a little over 1 1/2 years ago - beautiful 3 acres with well and 4 bedroom septic already in place. We have just been trying to decide what to build. We are currently living in a tiny 2-bedroom 1969 mobile home and our 38ft. fifth wheel travel trailer as our master bedroom (we have 2 kids). We looked at all the options...stick built, manufactured home, etc. We knew we liked log homes the best but our main objective was to build something without a mortgage (pay for it as we build) and just determined that stick built was not an option and thought that a log home (kit) wasn't either and we almost decided to go with an older double wide mobile that we could pay cash for and remodel but being hesitant, I started searching online once again for log homes and found the LHBA website. I didn't even know at that time it was local. I just liked the information on how we could build it from scratch ourselves inexpensively. I had never even thought of this as a possibility. I told my husband that I thought this might be a good option for us. He was also very impressed by the information found on the website and was gung ho to take the class and get started. It wasn't until then that I started looking at the location of the class. All it really says on the main pages is it is in the Seattle area. I was glad that it was local (I just didn't realize yet how local!) I then clicked on the link to directions and starting reading them and could not believe that it was between Monroe and Duvall! We were absolutely amazed and to think we had never heard about it from anyone around here. We decided then it was fate. We HAD to do this! The other deciding factor (other than the class was in our backyard) was knowing how it will increase our property value compared to a mobile home. Housing/property values in our area keep going up astronomically. We would not be able to even come close to finding property in our area now for what we paid just a 1 1/2 ago....and with a log home we will have something worth triple (at least) what we paid for it. We can't wait for the class so we can get more info. and get started! We are also curious to find other local members to talk to about how they've done this and hopefully be able to see their homes. We also found it interesting that people come from all over the country to take this class! We are so lucky that it is right here!
Still curious to find out who else is taking the May class.

Shelby

rreidnauer
04-16-2006, 07:00 PM
That's great Shelby. I figured you must have just discovered it. I too found this association while searching kit homes on the net. (and darn happy the search engine brought it up) I'm sure there will be more people checking in here. (there always is)

shrcek
04-16-2006, 07:43 PM
So Rod,

Have you build a log house yet? I see that you took the class in March of last year. If so, what have your experiences been? If not, what are your plans? What are your thoughts on the class? You can also tell me to bug off too if you prefer not to share. :D

grannyk
04-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Hi Shelby,
It sounds like you were meant to learn how to do this.
Awesome, I am hoping to get into a class someday here
in the near future but can't yet. Hope it all works out for you.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/heaven4333/Binkies%20%20emotions%20and%20tags/Smileehammering.gif

rreidnauer
04-17-2006, 03:27 AM
So Rod,

Have you build a log house yet? I see that you took the class in March of last year. If so, what have your experiences been? If not, what are your plans? What are your thoughts on the class? You can also tell me to bug off too if you prefer not to share. :D

No, I haven't yet, but definitely heading that way. So far, I'm gathering tools and info, preparing resources for (most likely) off-grid living, drawn up plans and built my model, (links to picks in the signature line below) trying to liquidate current assets, and searching for property. As your husband and father-in-law will find out, one to three years planning/preparing is normal part of the process.

The class is worth every single cent paid. It's too bad you won't be going yourself. It's an incredibly insightful experience. The class days are long, (typ. 12hrs) but just fly by. Sunday evening comes all too quick. I even considered taking the class a second time, but decided to save the pennies to put towards my build. Thanks to Ellsworth and Steve, we have this forum for anything that wasn't answered in class and to new leads and deals. Skip's home, where the class is held, is unbelievable. It's a testimate to any of the nay-sayers (kit home companies) that claim his style of building is sub-par. What can be better than taking the class within a structure you are learning to build. I could have moved right in that day I arrived and sent for my belongings!!! Once again, I say it's too bad you won't be taking the class, because you won't have the opportunity to see it for yourself. It's more than a house. It's a museum.

Get ready for a ride of a lifetime. Your headed for a great adventure!!!

jeffro
04-17-2006, 04:31 AM
I'm going!!! Not even close to being a native of the area though. We decided to give our 5 year plan a jump start. We are currently at year 0.5 and thinking of starting to build within 2 years or so.

Can't wait for the class.

Jeff

shrcek
04-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Yes, I wish I were going with my husband and father-in-law but we decided to save the $ toward the house since they will be primarily involved in the construction. I may go at a later time if they determine it would be beneficial. I will be mostly involved with plans, finding resources for supplies/materials and interior finishing/decorating. (The fun stuff!)

Shelby

Dowadudda
04-17-2006, 03:40 PM
When I went to the class, I went and had a beer at the local irish joint in Monroe, Phinicky's I believe. All the locals, who drink anyway, were in there on Saturday night, and were asking me why I was there. I told em. No one had heard of Skip. All of em were like. "yeagh man, a log home is what I want" I tried to advertize a little.

grannyk
04-17-2006, 04:01 PM
So Dowadudda
Have you built a log home yet?
Did you like the classes?
Was there anything you didn't like?
Inquiring minds want to know... :lol:

Dowadudda
04-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I went to the March 26/27th class. I have yet to even get started with actual building. I have been planning. And plan you must. I am still messing with my plan and look of a home I want.

I gather you have not been to the class yet.

It's not right to tell you everything about it. But. I will tell you.

I assume you are a log home right? Okay. If so, you will come away with new thinking. A new perspective. An educated common sense one. I garuntee you this. As you drive the country side, from the moment you get back home, you will know what a real log home is suppose to be and why.

And just to plug it with a little drama. It was friggen awesome. These guys play no bull$hit with you and don't need the attaboy. There true doewn to earth no nonsense dudes.

As a matter of fact I think they might be a little paranoid of their Fame. :wink:

Dowadudda
04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
was there anything I didn't like?

Yeagh. I thought the cookies sucked. Cause I didn't get a fair shot at one.

ponyboy
04-17-2006, 07:06 PM
And that walk... :shock: :D

rreidnauer
04-18-2006, 02:48 AM
And that walk... :shock: :D

You kiddin'? The walk is invigerating! :lol:

(first to the top - both days! :D )

Dowadudda
04-18-2006, 03:02 AM
that was cake. I think a few looked at me a little funny when I was lighting a cigarette on the way up as I was passing them by :wink:

wood bug
04-18-2006, 11:33 AM
The walk was nice, knowing you are going downhill after class LOL of course I smoked on the way up too. LOL was nice that it wasn't raining, Loved the mens restroom too, nice open design.

anacris
04-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Shelby,

I took the class last month (April) and I'm in the Eastside.
My husband and I are looking for land and planning what to build.
The class is great, from my point of view especially because there is a lot of "shopping" information that can really drive your costs down.

I was just in Duvall today getting to know the area and you are right, :shock: prices sure have gone up in the last 3 years or so.

Anyway, I'm planning to go in a couple of weeks to one of the recommended places, sort of a "field trip". If you are interested at all I'll let you know in advance.

Best of luck!

shrcek
04-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Good to hear from someone else local who took the class recently! What kind of "recommended place" are you going to? I would be interested so let me know what it is and when you are going. Where are you looking for property? How soon are you looking to build?

Shelby

anacris
04-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I'll visit one of the salvage stores in Seattle. I still don't know which one.
You'll get the info at the class (Well, your husband will..!) They recycle construction materials and a lot of fixtures (Great prices). Some are fancier than others. It looks very promising.

I have a little one with me, so it takes some planning.

About building, we're just starting to look for land. (Very little progress so far) Everything has gone up in price so much!

Anyway, I'll let you know and maybe we can go or at least share info.

Keep in touch!

Ana

ChainsawGrandpa
04-23-2006, 10:03 PM
I took the class back around '92. Right now I'm putting up
the 12 x 12 tool shed, and then the storage building. After
that the house goes up. I had planned to start building right
after the class but was side tracked.

Here's what I can say about the class.

1. I've said it before and sound like a broken record but...
STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN! Just amazed me that people
were in the kitchen talking about kid's soccer etc. when
the teaching was taking place. Sit, listen, take notes, look at
everything on the house, and suck thier brains dry! You'll
need all those details later.

2. Be glad you're associated with these great people. I'm sitting
here at work with the usual psychos, and my cow-orkers just
all the more make me appreciate the sane and same mindset
people at the LHBA. Man I just love being around Skip, Ellsworth,
Steve, and members. They are people who will bend over
backwards for you, but at the same time are no one's fool. Nice
friendly people, but take no guff off anyone. My kind of people.

Guess what I'm saying is have a great time, enjoy some wonderful
people you're going to meet...some of whom may be friends with for
the rest of your life, and learn, learn, learn.

-Rick

rreidnauer
04-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Rick brings up some good points that should be reitterated once in a while. One other I'll repeat, (that won't be a problem for you Shelby) is when I was there, I couldn't believe how many people left the class early, after about noon on Sunday. I guess they had to catch a flight or drive home, so they could be in work on Monday morning. Sheesh! Toss a quarter of the education just so you don't have to use a vacation day from work? It seemed like such a waste to me. Plan accordingly, and take (at least) the day off after the class, so you're not stressed/distracted during the class.

I took a few days before and after the class, to enjoy the sights. Since I've never been to the West coast, I was glad I did, and wished I had taken a few more.

Kennit
07-20-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm another local that took the class in May. I live about 1 1/2 hours south of Skip's house. I was amazed at the distances some of the people came to take the class. I was glad I could drive home each night and sleep in my own bed, but on the other hand I missed going to get something to eat and a few drinks with other people from class.

I'm still in the "searching for property" phase, but I think I'm getting close.

I think the only thing about the class I didn't agree with was the part about finding a logger. When they said "go to a tavern to find a logger", I was in complete agreement. When Ellsworth said to take your model log home with you to the tavern, I almost started laughing. I grew up and live in a logging community, bringing your scale model to the tavern is the code word for "I want somebody to kick my a**!!!" My cousin agreed (my uncle was a sawyer for Weyerhouser).