PDA

View Full Version : what makes a good plot?

tim rawlings
03-30-2006, 06:43 AM
Hi just joined the forum, I've been reading it for the last week. just wanted to say hi and ask about land. We are looking at plots of land next week in south CA. We want to build a small 2 room cabin on it to start with as a holaday home then when we move to the states from england we will build a bigger cabin. There are plots of .40 acres with water and electic or plots of 3 acres without. We dont mind living with solar and wind power but what would you go for. Any tips on what to look for in a plot would also help. Ta Tim

wood bug
03-31-2006, 04:53 AM
First I would find out what and if the plots have differant covenants and/or restrictions, and what they are. I would also check the cost differance to install water and elec. For me, the more land the better. a plot with a view generally has a better value, as long as your not surrounded by mobile homes.
I would also check and confirm the building codes for that area, basically you have to do a cost analysis and feasability check, at least I would in Cali. The biggest factor I think though would be, what plot you like enough to invest the time and resources to develope, you can practicly build anywhere

tim rawlings
03-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks wood bug thats a help. Anything else to look for in a good plot anybody.

Thanks

Tim

Shark
03-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Here's a book you should buy:

Finding & buying your place in the Country, by Les & Carol Scher

$17 from amazon, very very good read if you are looking for land.

tim rawlings
04-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Thanks Shark I will be getting one thanks for the tip.

Tim

Shark
04-01-2006, 08:55 AM
No prob!
It was recommended in class, & I'm sure it'll save me thousands, given the amount I learned from that book.

clairenj
04-02-2006, 06:34 PM
DRAINAGE if your plot puddles or pools, no good. Very much time and money can be spent on trying to keep the water away from your foundations and general living space, yet we need that same water in our wells!!! Funny we are mostly made of water and we need so much of it to live, yet we spend so much time and effort trying to stay dry, and keep our homes dry. If you think about your plot in regards to where the water willl go when it falls, you will be ahead of the game....just my thougts

WillandHelen
04-04-2006, 07:48 AM
LOOK AT THE FEMA FLOOD MAPS BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

dbtoo
04-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Living off grid is a way of life and many adaptations need to be made. How much power do you expect to consume, how much sunlight or wind do you get, etc. There are a number of website which offer free calcualtion sheets ( http://www.wholesalesolar.com/getting.started.html ) which can help you size up a system.

I estimate my current pv system to have cost about 12K. It usually produces sufficient power, but can easily run out of electricity during the winter nights, when the heater runs all night. Recently, High winds tore the solar array off its mount, and I have to replace the tracker at a cost of about $1800 for parts and labor. Thieves have stolen panels, at a cost of $750 per panel. Things aren't warrented for a lifetime, either. Also, you have to consider modified vs. pure sine wave. Things don't work or they burn up faster on a modified sine wave.

So, while it is nice to dream that you won't have to depend on a power company, you have many other factors to evaluate. You don't have the convenience of picking up a telephone and complaining that you don't have any power.

(I have to generate my own power. There is no utility option anywhere nearby. And when the realestate adds say 'Power nearby', read that as 'Power to your lot? Not in your lifetime!' or 'Sure, the utility company can run the poles to your lot, at a cost of $xxxx per pole! ) There are photos of parts of my system on the link in my signature.)

tim rawlings
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your replys, I was away working. Anyway we are off to CA in the morning and will be looking at plots at the weekend. Will probaly have lots of questons after that.

Thanks again

Tim

tim rawlings
04-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks again Shark the books well worth the $17. :D

JeffandSara
04-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Hope that your land shopping went well last weekend.

We would have to agree with what Dbtoo said about "power nearby" properties. :wink: We thought that our utility issues would be small since there was an existing house on the property with water and electical... but for a number of reasons, both those utilities ended up being quite frustrating and expensive to get to our house site. You can't "out-think" everything, and it ended up being well-worth the hassles to have this property. But it's good the more of those potential hassles you CAN think through in advance.

We also agree that covenants and conventions are important to understand before making an offer; land use is more and more restricted these days. And the size lots you're talking about here in California often do come with regulations that might put a crimp in your plans.

It's much harder doing all this long-distance, but best of luck to you in your search.

Sara :D

rvsandoval
06-18-2006, 02:21 PM
I attended the 2 day class in June 2005. I also am looking for land in southern California. Hopefully I will find 'self sufficient land', but I have made contact with a local logger. Anyway the area of interest to me is about 30-45 minutes from Idyllwild CA. In which area are you looking for land? Robert