PDA

View Full Version : CEDAR SHINGLES - MAKING THEM YOURSELF

Heritage Log Home Owner
03-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi

I was wondering where the best resources are regarding making your own cedar shingles?

Has anyone done this? If so, was it cost effective? enjoyable? too big of a task? etc..

Thanks
Sarah

ponyboy
03-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Looks like a lot of work. :shock:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1973_November_December/The_Froe_And_You__How_To_Make_Hand_Split_Shakes

ByronHamilton
03-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Covered several times in the book Creative Country Constuction. Great book for the owner builder on a budget. ISBN# 0-8069-7115-0

Found commercial fire retardant that could be applied to shakes by builder on-site. I can not remember the site...searched google.

ChainsawGrandpa
03-18-2006, 08:01 AM
First you have to get the cedar. That might be a trick.
You can build a quick and economical pneumatic froe.
That will make the job a lot faster and easier. However,
splitting, stacking, bundling, transporting, loading, and
installing your own shakes or shingles is a big job.
Shingles are usually sawn and triple laid. Shakes are
thicker and often larger.
I'm cheap but I'll be putting on a metal roof. They look
good, are still somewhat economical, and are quick to
install.
-Rick

Riverhobo
03-22-2006, 10:58 AM
I did a bit of research on cedar shakes. I made some with a homade froe by splitting some old telephone poles sections. We used the shakes on a small roof above some 4x8 signs for a local campground they looked great. However even with treating them with flame retardent I would never use them on a house. Also we treated the shakes with Thompsons Water Seal, not the best waterproofer available, and they are showing some signs of rot after just 3 years. Its my understanding that unless you can get shakes from old growth cedar the life span of the shakes even with yearly upkeep is only about fifteen years. But it is very attractive stuff.

wood bug
03-31-2006, 04:58 AM
If anyone is ever near Branson Missouri, the theme park Silver Dollar City makes cedar shingles, you can watch how they did it yrs ago with steam powered equip. you can also purchase what they split. If you want some real fun take the family to Branson, do a search on the web, you would go back a bunch of times. And check out silver dollar city, its a blast from the past