PDA

View Full Version : Pole barn for logs: questions

eagle
02-25-2014, 12:11 PM
I know this is really not the place for this but I am going to build a pole barn first to store my logs in for the house, as well as equipment, which will be used as a shop later. If anyone has done this here already maybe you can help. I plan on the size of 32 x 50. That way if I put a door on each end with a couple doors on one side I can pull the logs in with the tractor, drop them, out the other gable end and then come at them from the side to stack them. Does this sound like a good plan?
Also, a quick question on the poles: would it be better to drop the poles in past the frost line or build a pier and attach a bracket on top for the poles? To me it sounds weaker to have the bracket but the thought of wood in the ground , even though treated, is not good either. Thanks for any input.

rreidnauer
02-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Using roof trusses is the easiest way to make an open floorplan. Sinking the poles five feet in the ground will make the structure very stable. Much better than a pier connection, but a risk of rotting out your posts. (I pour used motor oil around my posts)

edkemper
02-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Many power companies offer old power poles for free or cheap. Seems to me they would be ideal. That is what I plan on using.

thoner7
02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
How long can a used telephone pole last in the ground? In a fairly wet/humid climate say?

eagle
02-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Rod: do you pour that oil on after they are set? They do make plastic sleeves which I looked at.
I checked with the code inspector: over 1500 sq ft I need engineered prints. NO power poles, they are worried about the old chemicals in the ground, just garbage... the poles were my first choice but got shot down.

rreidnauer
02-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Eagle, that's hilarious. Millions of tele poles in use, but you can't reuse a couple dozen.

I oiled after they were set. Rot only occurs on poles very near the grade line, and that is the only place I oil. The old creosote treated poles on there own will last a very long time, even laying on the ground. Reoiling assures that rot doesn't get a toehold in that risked area.

I got my poles for $25 a piece.

lilbluehonda
03-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Any idea on how good the green copper stuff works for preserving poles,I haven't been able to find any cheap power poles but I have a lot of Cedar trees

ivanshayka
03-20-2014, 06:04 AM
I heard of couple of tricks like that. One of them is to put the end into a fire and burn thin layer of the log around, to sort of "sterilize" it. Green cooper thing for fence posts works too,'but it's toxic.