PDA

View Full Version : Log Home Builder in Florida

srschue
03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I am looking for a log home builder in florida to do a turnkey home. If anyone knows of one or are one themselves please let me know. Project is to get under ASAP. I am in Hastings, FL which is just east of Palatka. Any questions feel free to e-mail me. :D

kyle
03-09-2006, 03:01 AM
srschue,

Just an FYI, you may not get a response on this site to finding a kit/turnkey log home builder. Most, if not all, of us on this site are "do it yourselfers" and have built or intend to build our log homes with out a kit.

Just didn't want you to think we were being rude and ignoring you.

RockEngineer
03-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Two places you are more likely to find hand crafted or kit builders are

www.logassociation.org/

www.lhoti.com

dbtoo
03-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Most, if not all, of us on this site are "do it yourselfers" and have built or intend to build our log homes with out a kit.

I'll bet there are some kit home builders lurking in the forum, if for nothing more than to pick up tips that they can utilize. I would caution that anyone who does contact you (this forum or other), get a contractor number from them, check them out thoroughly. Heck, if you're paying enough, any of us would come and build a place for ya, even if it is our first!

Make sure you read the horror stories about kit log homes! http://www.loghomebuilders.org/kit_log_homes_horror_stories.htm

srschue
03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. I apologize if I entered the wrong forum. Can someone explain to me what "kits" really are. I am fairly new to the log homes and even though I have been scouring the internet for information. I have talked and visited I guess log home manufactures so is that what they try to sell are the kits? I am looking strictly for builders that have built log homes whether it be the builders for the manufactures. This is going to be my primary residence so I what to make sure it's done right. An advice would be great. What about those log and timber shows are those a joke to go to?

dbtoo
03-10-2006, 05:10 AM
No need to apologize, you stumbled on the right forum!
http://www.loghomebuilders.org/ will give you many ideas. I too, had been thinking of having a kit home built. But after reading everything on the website, I feel that I can build my home. It is certainly not feasible for everyone, and I don't think you can do it as cheaply as indicated (maybe 40 years ago you could). I do know that you will have the right questions to ask the kit builders at the log home show.

Read the articles on the site and ask away. There are many members who will help to answer your questions as best as they can.

RockEngineer
03-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Here are the definitions of kits and hand crafted log homes as I understand them.

Kits take logs and run them through a mill to make them all approximately the same size and diameter regardless of what size they started out with or where the center of the log is. They assemble the logs on their site to fit your plans, ship them to your site and reassemble them. There are good and bad things about kits. You will have to read the stories and talk to people to find out the whole gammit. Some kits are other log shapes than round. In most cases think of a factory for kits.

Hand crafters usually peel the logs and individually cut them to fit each other. There are some shortcuts that some builders take to make this process easier but you don't get as tight a fit as the old methods. Think one of a kind for hand crafters. Most are assembled on a lot and hauled to your site and reassembled.

This sight deals with a type of hand crafted called butt and pass. They use hand peeled whole logs with very little cutting or notching. It is a method that can be learned fairly quickly and everything is done on your site. The gaps in the logs are filled with chinking. The logs are held together with rebar pounded from the log above into the log below every 24". It is somewhat labor intensive but can produce beautiful log homes and lends itself to people who want to do their own work. Many people are willing to trade their own labor in exchange for not having a LARGE 30 year mortgage. It is all in where you are and what you want.

There are good and bad builders in every area. Take your time and make sure you get what you want. Have good legal paperwork on what will and won't be provided and what options you have if the contractor fails to keep his end of the bargain.

Good Luck :lol: :lol:

srschue
03-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. This site has been a wealth of knowledge of the good and bad of log homes. It gave me a lot of questions to ask especially next week when the show is in town.