PDA

View Full Version : Solar Incentives

kahle
02-21-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this on this board before but there are solar house design classes being offered around Seattle by a fellow named Chris Herman that are interesting to attend. Besides telling you how to design a solar house he has been helpful in lobbying for tax incentives for solar installations.

See http://www.dsireusa.org/ for more info but the jist is that if you buy a photovoltaic system and/or a solar water heating system in 2006 or 2007 you can get a federal tax credit for 30% of the purchase cost up to $2000 per installation per year. There are also state incentives that will allow you to skip sales tax and other things that can drop your payoff period to around two years.

The only thing I found about Mr. Herman's presentation is that like most techies, he has a prejudice against log homes that is in complete contradiction to the data he presents.

For instance, he started his lecture talking about how the modern home has 20,000 chemicals in it that it didn't have 20 years ago. And that this is a bad thing. Then later he tells me that logs are a waste of fiber and that they should be cut up or ground up and glued together to make cool structural beams. What does he think they make that glue out of, honey?

If you follow his charts, you can see that logs have a unique quality among building materials, a relatively high R-Value coupled with a Dynamic Heat Storage capacity that makes the tromb walls that he likes so much unnecessary.

I would recomend his class for those thinking about designing a house. He has lots of interesting ideas about calculating overhangs to shade windows in the summer and not the winter, using clerestories instead of skylights etc.

JeffandSara
02-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Interesting information, Paul! We've heard some similar attitudes that are anti-log that really don't make sense to US when you consider the chemicals (like the glue you mentioned) that would be used instead.

Hope that all's well with you and with your project! :D

Sara

dbtoo
02-23-2006, 09:19 AM
While trying to find parts to fix my solar tracker, I ran across this web site. It has work sheets to help determine what your solar needs are and to help you size and cost a system.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/index.html

DYork
02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Glue?--ya mean formaldehyde? I work for a company that deals almost exclusively in products made from glued up wood-byproducts, such as waferboard, MDF, and particleboard. The formaldehyde is an ingredient in the glue that holds the particles together. The MSDS for each of these products cautions against formaldehyde inhalation/exposure in both airborne dust while sawing/maching and extended time period proximity of the panel goods themselves. I've yet to see the EPA issue a similar warning regarding a natural tree trunk.

adubar
03-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Yes, the "green home" movement does have its share of ironies.
The other day, I came across an article extolling the virtues of some bio-based "bio" or "eco-friendly" panels for home building, using natural fibers and a "bio-resin."

The problem with the article was that the writer had no clue of what the "bio-resin" contained-- bisphenol A (used in most epoxies that make their way into consumer products, and one of the many components in modern plastics that may be linked to long term health problems).

It's one thing to think green, its another to actually do it.

Regards,

A