PDA

View Full Version : Log home maintance

travelin01
02-16-2006, 01:50 PM
As a new member following this forum for a while now I have one question that I haven't come across any info on yet. How much ongoing maintance is there to one of these properly built houses. Sealing is one I keep getting warned about, any others? All the other questions that haven't been answered are ones that will be covered in the class I bet and I sure hope to be there.

I'm sure glad I found this site after hearing from some of the dissatisfied owners of kit houses.

rreidnauer
02-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Get ready for a surprise, because if you build a home to Skip's specifications, there is practically no maintenance required!!!! The logs DO NOT get sealed using Skip style construction techniques. :shock:

So, why do the kit home manufactures seal their buildings? That, my friend, you'll learn in the class. :D

wood bug
02-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Staining was optional and depended on if you want to continue with that maintenance every couple of years

9200 asbury rd
02-22-2006, 02:24 PM
im a newbie too!
so if you dont seal the logs, what preserves them?
i wish i could go to washington for the seminar upcoming, unfortunately i can not, i have an aling father and need to stay close to home.
if anyone is able to share some insites with me, id greatly appreciate it

rreidnauer
02-22-2006, 03:06 PM
The trick is in the construction methods and materials used. I can't say more, as it wouldn't be right for me to spill their pot of beans, :wink: but you simply got to stop thinking on a "kit home mentality."

wood bug
02-23-2006, 08:40 AM
True, a kit home is like "processed "cheese" compared to the real deal. Kit homes are basically a processed log house, In my opinion. The logs are "processed" to a degree they loose some stability. hmmm But some folks like processed cheese, and some folks like selling it so.........

adubar
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
wood bug-
Very well put.

I think you said it all.

-A

wood bug
02-24-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks Adubar, Kind off a wierd analagy but ...notice even processed cheese comes in a "convienant" wrapper,ready to use,ya know like the nightmare those folks in Maine had :lol: They handled it much better than I would.

rwayne
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
A quick question from someone new ot the forum and hoping to take the class next year. Is "sealing" the logs the same as staining them or is it two sepoerate processes? Is one supposedly for protection and the other solely for looks? Thanks!

rreidnauer
02-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Don't hold me to it, but I'd say staining does effectively seal wood. The reason I make that statement is, I stained T1-11 siding using a opaque colored stain. Been like that for over 10 years without any sign of water intrusion. But I believe the official word is stain is not a sealer. I'm sure someone else on here will have the answer, rather than an opinion like mine.

wood bug
02-24-2006, 04:26 PM
rreidnauer is right, exterior stain is made to repel everything, even sealer. Most manufactures don't recommend sealer over stains since stains wont let sealers in to dry, so staining basically has sealed the surface. Usually the darker the pigment stain, = better resiliance than a clear stain, (The color allows more preservatives) we stain business ramps all the time and the repel water great. The biggets mistake is to staim/seal anything that has a high moisture content, like fresh cut wood , fresh non-curred cement for example. to get that nice interior color you can use a high gloss stain or put on several coats, I will probably go with an exterior polyurethane on my interior logs.

RockEngineer
02-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Staining the logs or not on an LHBA type house is kind of a personal thing. Most of the Log Home of the Month houses appear to have had some type of treatment but if properly built and protected from the weather you can usually get by without stains or sealants. It depends on what look you are going for.

If you do stain make sure you use something that doesn't fully seal the logs like a urethane or plastic type coating. You can get dry rot under the sealant from the natural moisture in the wood. If you seal it and it peals it is a pain.

Some people swear by Sikkens three part system. It is used a lot in kit homes or hand crafters.

I think others are less expensive and just as good like Messmers Timberflex. Again used by a lot of kit builders and hand crafters.
http://www.messmers.com/prod.html

Some old timers and some LHBA members have used boiled linseed oil which is inexpensive but has it's own set of drawbacks.

Some people like the graying look and don't use anything. It is all a matter of preference and whether you are building it for yourself to live in or planning on selling.

Some options are talked about in the class. Isn't freedom of choice great!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

DYork
02-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Don't some crawlies/flying critters like the way linseed oil makes the wood taste?