PDA

View Full Version : Our timetable has changed-advice solicited.

DYork
02-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Things have changed since I made my 1st post here-some ways good-others bad. My 87 yr old father, who lives in East Texas has become ill, and has been hospitalized for some weeks now. Long medical story, but the offshoot of it is that he will need someone with him at all times, and we will be moving over there much sooner than expected, long before we can get to take the class, to take care of him. Probably around June1 06.
Our tentative plans:
Get a short term lease on an 2 bedroom apt-6 mos max.
During those 6 months, renovate one of the 2 houses on the family property, probably the old farmhouse--perhaps the 3 bedroom mobile home. The mobile home has issues, such as no elec power, neglect, leaking roof, interior damage, no running water. The farmhouse has both elec power and is hooked up to a shallow well, but is too small to accomodate a couple and an ailing single.

His illness is moving up my timetable, but the silver lining is to be able to spend some years with him, and will also enable us to be in residence on the property about 250 yards from where my build site is, as well as deleting any rent or mortgage payment while I'm building our log house.

Now, I would never attempt to build a full size log home before attending the class, but I "might" attempt adding on a log room to the farm house--probably a separate room joined to the farmhouse by an enclosed hall. Dogtrot style I think they call it.

Time is going to be a big factor. So--a single log room--or 2x4 conventional wall room?
Considerations. My father hates air conditioning, and won't sleep in a room that is air conditioned, but HAS to have plenty of heat. Jane & I have to have A/C. Yep we're spoiled, and the transition to the East Texas humidity is going to be tough on Jane already. This is one of the reasons we are considering the separated room. Open windows for him-a/c for us. The 3 of us can share the bathroom in the farmhouse.
Appreciate any input, suggestions, or advice on this.

wood bug
02-11-2006, 04:36 AM
DYork, hey man sorry to hear that, but it really sounds like a blessing in some ways, you are lucky to be able to take this "walk" with your dad, not very many people get that opportunity, You could get some good advise maybe about your building plans/Ideas or at least share your enthusiasm with him .I think you already have a good plan, I would put the money into a room addition for you and the wife with maybe a window unit, would be fast and may add to the value of the property, the bonus is you wont have rent so you could utilize some of the savings to maybe go to the class sooner than expected, which is a big bonus if thats where you were going to build anyway, I bet your dad would get a kick out of seeing you work your butt off in the E. Texas summer. Good luck brother, I think you'll find someones guiding you in this direction.

slasher
02-13-2006, 06:40 PM
both of my parents are gone now... and wish I would have had the opportuntity that is ahead of you now... my sister stayed home with mom her last 15 months and I am anvious of how she and my mom were able to bond in that time frame... The stories that she has are more precious than anything I have except for my wife and kids...

As for the log home thing, i am further behind the curve than you, but as for spending ime with Pops, you are doing the right thing...