PDA

View Full Version : Solar tubes?

LogHomeFeverDan
02-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Anyone used solar tubes for lighting?

mario kadu
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Can’t say how they’d work in a log home…but I can comment on how well they function in our workplace. Except for my office which has one small 12” x 36’ window up high the rest of our building is a concrete cave – no windows, thick concrete walls, the overhead is a ‘classic’ drop ceiling which hides the heating and air conditioning ducts, electrical conduit, fire sprinkles, etc the space a rather large a U-shaped maze of 20 cubicles and 8 offices. About 36 months ago Facility Maintenance installed solar tubes. Most of them were installed near or over people’s work spaces with some in the main aisle ways. They work incredibly well. They have at the lower end an opaque/frosted lens which diffuses the light nicely – otherwise sitting under one would be like being below a magnifying lens. Prior to installation our only lighting was overhead fluorescents. If we had a power outage it was totally dark, you couldn’t see you hand in front of your face. The solar tubes literally make a night-and-day difference. On many days we don’t even turn on the lighting. Ours have remotely operated internal diaphragms similar to a camera lens which allows each tube to be adjusted to allow more or less light. I’d strongly recommend this feature especially for those hot summer days or conversely when they allow more light on a cloudy day. I had thought about using them or skylights when we build but was not sure about sealing the roof to avoid water leakage. I had thought that and alternative would be to put large windows at each eve end by the ridge poles, figuring that there would be enough light during the day but I honesty don’t know how well that works. Actually that is a question I had been planning to ask someday on one of the forums. The solar tubes here at work were professionally installed and have never leaked. Our roof is very low pitched so run-off and leaking was a problem before they re-roofed a few years ago. They say it never rains in Southern California, but LOL like the song says, “when it rains… it pours!”

RPM
02-09-2013, 10:23 PM
We have 3 in our current home and love them! Nice and bright and work well (of course when the sun is shinning!) But even on a cloudy day, they provide some light. We have one in the laundry room, guest bathroom and hallway. On bright days, there's no need to turn the light on. I'd like to incorporate some in our log home.

LogHomeFeverDan
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
We have 3 in our current home and love them! Nice and bright and work well (of course when the sun is shinning!) But even on a cloudy day, they provide some light. We have one in the laundry room, guest bathroom and hallway. On bright days, there's no need to turn the light on. I'd like to incorporate some in our log home.

RPM did you install them yourself? or hire someone? They don't appear that difficult. I am not a construction expert but I'm a huge DIYer.

medicgus
02-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Solar tubes are a fairly straight forward install. just make sure that you have a good seal on the roof. I have installed several on comp shingle roofs and all haveworked out great and the light they provide is awesome.

LogHomeFeverDan
02-14-2013, 05:22 AM
Solar tubes are a fairly straight forward install. just make sure that you have a good seal on the roof. I have installed several on comp shingle roofs and all haveworked out great and the light they provide is awesome.

That's the feeling I get reading about them. Install is very doable for a DIY. Good to hear feedback from someone who's done it!

Gomer
05-03-2013, 06:53 AM
very doable and yo'll love them ---- if putting into a steel roof it's a bit more work and you may be limited in the sizes you can implement but it doesn't take much to brighten the whole place up. The flashing and gaskets used to do a SS seal just needs to be carefully done. I've done them on a total of 7 places now for myself and friends and family and they rock as my son said ! :)

LogHomeFeverDan
05-04-2013, 03:13 PM
I guess the hesitancy I have, and remember I'm a novice builder, is hearing from many, "the more holes you have in your roof the more chances for leaking". I really like the idea of solar tubes though for lighting. I'd like to think during the daylight hours we could get away with extremely limited artificial lighting.

medicgus
05-04-2013, 10:06 PM
After taking the class I would go with a regular skylight. The shallow roof depth negates the need for the tube and diffuser that the solar tubes use, they work great if you have attic space but not a vaulted ceiling.

loghousenut
05-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Holes in roofs are fine, but I'm wondering if they could wait til the place has been lived in for awhile. It would be a shame to brighten up a place before knowing if it was too dark or not. I can't help but think of that Acura we loved so much. It had a tinted glass sunroof but the best part about the sunroof was that nice little screen that we could pull forward to keep the sunlight from basking all its glory on us. Too bright can be a pain in the eyes.

Mosseyme
05-05-2013, 07:17 PM
How far are they effective. Could you run a long tube down to the dark basement like through a closet on the main floor and on to the basement?

medicgus
05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
You could do that. The whole idea of the tube is that is is super reflective, you would just need extension tubes. Just watch out because those tubes get hot if you use the metal ones. I don't know that they would be a fire danger but it would be warm in that closet.

Gomer
05-06-2013, 05:21 AM
How far are they effective. Could you run a long tube down to the dark basement like through a closet on the main floor and on to the basement?

Easily - where you have a hollow cavity a tube can go. I've seen them literally on the exterior of a non-load bearing wall in a house too where they created a deco look box out to get it to dark basement. They dropped 3 tubes down and the light was really something down there. Made it nice and bright - totally changed the vibe of the basement.

LogHomeFeverDan
05-06-2013, 05:39 AM
Do the tubes need to be straight? They are "reflective" but can you have like a 45 degree angle. I'm thinking instead of the roof, could you install one in an exterior wall then come inside the house to the basement?

medicgus
05-06-2013, 06:50 AM
they don't need to be straight but for maximum light the need direct sun exposure, that is why roof mount works best. If you are thinking exterior wall I would just think window. obviously the more angles / turns the less bright light although it would still provide a fair amount of light.

LogHomeFeverDan
05-06-2013, 09:12 AM
LOL well here's what I"m thinking so ya'll don't think I'm nuts....er........nuttier.... anywho......

After visiting another LHBA's build this weekend, I realized the walk out portion of our basement will have a porch overhead. The other sides will be backfilled. I don't really like the idea of the small windows above grade on the portion of the basement above grade to support our log walls. Thus I was exploring a means to get natural light to the basement but not down thru the roof.