PDA

View Full Version : Newby, just wants to say HI

loudsam
01-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi Everyone! I happened onto the main website, and of course being very interested, registered on the forum. I'm from NW Wisconsin, way out in the woods, about 25 miles from Superior, WI.

I have a hard time imagining being able to learn enough in a couple of days to be able to build a log home. Of course there's the members forum where, I'm sure, (having belonged to other forums), one could learn much. Just how much can a person learn in a couple of days in a class?

In other words, what I guess I'm asking is, is this for real? How would being a member, (other than the obvious reasons), help me to build a log home?

Anyway, HI! I'm anxious to hear someone's input on my question.

Loudsam

sparky
01-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Hello Loudsam welcome
Yup, this is the real deal 8) Other than the obvious, (taking the two day class) the members forum alone is worth the price of admission :!: :D As for the Million Dollar Rolodex (listing of all sorts of useful information and contacts) personally I think it is quickly approaching a Two Million Dollar value :!: :shock:

rreidnauer
01-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Hello LoudSam and welcome to LHBA!

In a nut shell, YES, this is really for real! Being a member gets you the education you need to get you started in the right direction. The two day course really does get you what you need to know in that time. Now, keep in mind that miracles are not going to happen, as they don't dot every I and cross every T. This is more or less due to the many options and variables to building this style. What education you do get is from the foundation to the roof structure. Finishing details, like how to put in the kitchen cabinets, or how to stud in a closet are not really covered, though ideas are informally discussed, and tips often shared. They also cover (or uncover) a lot of the kit home issues, and legal information, like permits and the such. A big key is to ask questions. Start writing them down now, and have them ready when you take the class.

Now don't fear, because even if you miss some questions in the class, as a member, you have access to the member's section of the forums. This is where most of the information is located. This was a very welcome addition just added a year ago, and is very popular.

Perhaps you can get lucky enough to find a LHBA member who has built a home near you and see what LHBA membership can bring.

In all, the cost of membership is far less than if you were to attempt building a log home through trial and error, and in the end will have paid for itself should you have the determination to build your own home.

As I told others, I doubt you'd be disappointed

disclaimer: Other than being a member of LHBA, I have no affilation with the organization, and even though I sound like I do, I receive no monetary gain for my opinions. (darn it) :wink: :lol:

loudsam
01-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi Rod! Thanks for the quit reply. Makes you feel good when you join a forum, and recieve replys, if you know what I mean?

I went to your site where you have the model home. It seems like there is alot of sawn lumber in the design. But, I really like it. The structure makes SO much sense. The floor joists and roof supports, (I don't know what else to call them), really make sense. What I guess I mean to say is; it looks like a really good design.

My recent dream, (I have many), is to saw lumber myself. I imagine the "lumber" in your design would probably be rough sawn?

I'll be lurking around. It sure is an interesting site, and I'm surprised it took me so long to find it.

BTW, I know what you saying as far as the information that would be available as a member. But, I have to be sure before I spend money, cause I hate to feel like I've been ripped off.

Loudsam

ChainsawGrandpa
01-18-2006, 10:54 PM
I sure understand your fears. There are two ways to look at it:

1. If you're really curious, then that's a lot of money to pay
just to satisfy a person's curiousity. Not at all a good deal.

2. If you want to build, and fully intend to do it sooner than
later, then the price was incredibly cheap.

Somewhere on the site is a letter from a member who built a log home and his wife loves it. Don't believe he mentioned the size of the house,
but I think the price was under $20,000.

One thing to remember is that you mileage may vary. It may take a
couple of weeks to close in the house, or it may take a dozen years.
It may cost a lot of money or it may cost very little. There are so
many variables, but the pivotal factor is quite often the builder.
Some friends bought their logs for about $18,000. Another student
bought his logs for fifty cents each. The opportunity for cheap logs
was available to both parties...one shopped and asked questions (the
right questions!), the other just wrote out a check for some delivered
logs.
The course not only gives information, but gives you a mindset.
Yes, being taught the proper attitude for finding good deals didn't
hurt, but I was born cheap. My radar went off every time cheap or
free was mentioned in class.

Let me put it this way.
One day at work my cow orkers (yes, cow orkers) were giving people
latin name. The one they gave me was Titus....

...Waddus.

I am cheap, but I consider the class to be bargain basement and
was one of the smartest things I have done in my life.

-Rick

JeffandSara
01-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Hi, Loudsam--

We took the class in 2000. We live in an area where free/cheap house logs are not an option, neither is cheap good quality land. We're not debt-free, but we're living in an almost 3000 sq ft log house we love which we designed and built ourselves.

We ENTHUSIASTICALLY ENDORSE Skip's methods as FAR SUPERIOR to any notched, coped or kit method out there for economy, structural stability and aesthetics. And Ellsworth and Steve are doing a GREAT job with the classes and Association.

Good luck.
Sara :D

loudsam
01-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi, Loudsam--

We took the class in 2000. We live in an area where free/cheap house logs are not an option, neither is cheap good quality land. We're not debt-free, but we're living in an almost 3000 sq ft log house we love which we designed and built ourselves.

We ENTHUSIASTICALLY ENDORSE Skip's methods as FAR SUPERIOR to any notched, coped or kit method out there for economy, structural stability and aesthetics. And Ellsworth and Steve are doing a GREAT job with the classes and Association.

Good luck.
Sara :D

Thanks for the reply Sara! I've been doing a little more research online today about Skip Ellsworth and his method of construction. I'm beginning to believe that it is what their website says it is.

I'm still undecided as to whether a log home is the most sensible type of house for me to build though. The reasons I have for feeling this way are many. It seems to me that a log home uses an awful lot of trees/wood versus the same size stick home, and I don't know if I can justify that for me personally.

Where I live, finding a cheap source of logs would probably be very little problem. I love the log homes I've seen on the LHBA website, and the members pictures of their homes. You can bet I will hang around this forum to try to find out if it would be right for Linda and I.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post!

Doug