PDA

View Full Version : a few questions before I start saving cash for the class.

Aaron Baron
01-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Hello again. The more and more I read this page the more I want to take the class I think ill try to scrape some cash together for 2006 or 2007. I an truly excited and cant wait to build my own home. I want to believe all the stories on this web site but I still have a skeptic in side of me telling me its not possible. So I have a few questions about things about what is taught in the class. Do you get taught about how to work the paper work and red tape of building legally and such, a friend of mine just got in big trouble for building an extension to his house without filling out paper work. Also what about getting running water and electricity to remote areas is that covered? also I keep hearing stories about how dirt cheep people in the program get (straight solid) logs. Is it really as cheep as 25 cents a log and such what about transportation? I want to build in Maryland or Virginia can I get cheep costing logs in my area or is it a west coast thing do they get delivered or do I rent a truck or what? Lastly I pretty much know what I want the design of my house to look like, and all if I take the class can I bring my sketches and blueprints for a personal critique and for comments and such? I hope everyone had a happy holyday.
Aaron Baron

rreidnauer
01-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Alright, I'll give this a go.

Do you get taught about how to work the paper work and red tape of building legally and such, a friend of mine just got in big trouble for building an extension to his house without filling out paper work.

The class doesn't really discuss the paperwork detail, but rather, covers what steps are normally taken. They also discuss the use of "legal kung-fu" (term coined by LHBA) if you have trouble dealing with local officials, and possible work-arounds to keep them off your back.

also I keep hearing stories about how dirt cheep people in the program get (straight solid) logs. Is it really as cheep as 25 cents a log and such what about transportation?

Can you get them that cheap? The answer is "Quite possibly" OK, probably not the yes or no answer you are looking for. But, there are opportunities all the time, if you are willing to do the homework to make it happen. Some folks fall into lucky deals, others work hard, even through legal means, to make it happen. Paraphrasing Skip, "You got to go into it with the attitude that you already own the logs, and now you want to get them."

Of course transporting them isn't part of the price. Folks aren't sitting around with their tractor trailers just waiting to move your logs for charity. But it's not to say that there isn't ways to get them there at reduced costs, again, if you have the determination of making it happen.

I want to build in Maryland or Virginia can I get cheep costing logs in my area or is it a west coast thing do they get delivered or do I rent a truck or what?

Again with a Skip quote, "Use what you got." (or can get.) The closer the product is, typically the less it will cost with transportation figured in. Of course, that's not a rule written in stone. Many costs can be wildly different depending on the circumstances. One guy might want a couple hundred bucks a log, meanwhile a few miles down the road, some guy might be willing to give his trees away if you come and clear them. Obviously, you want to find guy number two. To get them moved, you gotta find a means. Again, as usual, you'll have to work at it to find a good deal. Ideas are given in class as leads to help you get pointed in the right direction.

Lastly I pretty much know what I want the design of my house to look like, and all if I take the class can I bring my sketches and blueprints for a personal critique and for comments and such?

Yes, by all means. Take any of your ideas with you to class. There couldn't be a better place to do so. It practically the pinnacle of the whole purpose of LHBA.

I highly doubt you'll be disappointed by the class. I haven't heard of any complaints yet. I believe the tuition will easily pay for itself in the potholes it will help you avoid on the road to mortgage free living possiblities.