PDA

View Full Version : Hot water showers

rocklock
10-12-2012, 05:31 PM
If you are like me, I really enjoy a joy water shower. I found a solution that requires minimal water pressure, two "C" cell batteries and a 20 pound propane tank. It is a tankless water heater and it really works. It is called Eccotemp and cost about 100 bucks from amazon. I have seen one in operation. I want to get mine going this weekend.

Sasquatch
10-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I've been looking at these for the guest cabin we'll stay in while we build. Please report back once it's up and running!

rreidnauer
10-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Yea, I too would like to figure out how to install one inside the camper, while still finding a way to vent the intake/exhaust outside. I really dislike my ultra-inefficient tank heater that I currently have. There are two companies working on or already produce retrofit tankless units for RVs, but they are very expensive, and still require burning propane as a freeze protection mode.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

dvb
10-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Rod,
They also make an electrical option for RV heaters. We find the electrical option much less costly than listening to all that propane go to waste.

rawson
10-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Installed an Eccotemp 2 years ago, 3.5 gpm, hardwired, indoor model, propane. Works great, did modify the plumbing to isolate the unit to gravity feed vinegar into the heating tank to keep the mineral deposits under control, also flush cold water through the tank after heating water probably a bit of overkill on maintenance. Was also pleased with customer support, were very helpful with a few startup questions.

rreidnauer
10-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Rod,
They also make an electrical option for RV heaters. We find the electrical option much less costly than listening to all that propane go to waste.

I'm off grid. Electric heat anything is out of the question.

Longhare
10-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Rod, let me know if you end up trying the propane version for your trailer. That's the unit I hope to use, one way or another, unless I go the very earthy route and build an outdoor cob shower shed with built in rocket stove.

Louanne

Admin
10-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Moved to solar/alt energy since it's a good off-grid living topic. Seems like a neat product so we also tweeted a link (https://twitter.com/loghomebuilders/status/259334916972617728) to this thread.

greenthumb
10-20-2012, 08:06 PM
While the eccotemp sounds like a great gadget, sometimes you need something simpler(limited fuel/water/power/etc). I ran across this idea today, sounds like it would work well if you're living as a minimalist but don't want to resort to a sponge bath. http://tinyhouselistings.com/ou-off-the-grid-shower/

loghousenut
10-21-2012, 08:48 AM
While the eccotemp sounds like a great gadget, sometimes you need something simpler(limited fuel/water/power/etc). I ran across this idea today, sounds like it would work well if you're living as a minimalist but don't want to resort to a sponge bath. http://tinyhouselistings.com/ou-off-the-grid-shower/

Use a backpack sprayer and you could clean up while you're out for your morning walk.

OK, Really,

There were years in my younger life where I'da jumped on this idea in a heartbeat. I've never been much of a fan of sponge bathing while standing in a washtub next to the woodstove... Well there was that one scene in that Harrison Ford movie where he was living with the Amish. Forever a fan of good acting.

rawson
10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Use a backpack sprayer and you could clean up while you're out for your morning walk.

OK, Really

There were years in my younger life where I'da jumped on this idea in a heartbeat. I've never been much of a fan of sponge bathing while standing in a washtub next to the woodstove... Well there was that one scene in that Harrison Ford movie where he was living with the Amish. Forever a fan of good acting.

Seems I recall your a Navy vet so tell us about the Navy showers vs the Marine showers.

loghousenut
10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Seems I recall your a Navy vet so tell us about the Navy showers vs the Marine showers.

In the Navy, the shower water had never been inside a helmet.

My little Dixie Cup hat is off to those of you who ate from a can or a pouch and shook the mud, dust, and blood from your socks.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/valor-hug.jpg

donjuedo
10-22-2012, 10:10 AM

My guess:
Navy shower = 30 seconds to get wet, off while lathering, on maybe a minute to rinse. Saves water.
Marine shower = cold rain.

rawson
10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
My guess:
Navy shower = 30 seconds to get wet, off while lathering, on maybe a minute to rinse. Saves water.
Marine shower = cold rain.

When I was a kid listening to my Dad(Marine) and his brother(Navy) what I got out of the ribbing was Marines only showered when it rained and a Navy shower was just a dab of underarm deodorant.

ChainsawGrandpa
04-01-2013, 10:19 AM
A Marine officer said for us to remember that
the Marines are just a department of the Navy...
"The Men's Department".

Submitted by:

G'pa, whose number was 43, was 1A, and breathed a
sigh of relief when he heard the draft was suspended,
and we were pulling out of S.E. Asia, and was about
seventy five days from receiving a letter that said;
"Greetings!".

Longhare
04-02-2013, 11:57 AM
I like the Tiny House post about their setup. Okay, with 2 gallons of hot water I could probably get all my hair WET. Hmm...i wonder how big a tank i could get on one of those...

ChainsawGrandpa
04-02-2013, 04:16 PM
This is what I've been doing.

I use about five quarts+ for a nice, long hot shower. Takes about 30 minutes to shower. Also,a six gallon,
low-profile plastic gas boat tank keeps the shower from needing a step ladder to enter. Thinking of hard plumbing an insulated 303 stainless steel tank. Might be a lot more convenient than having that sprayer in the shower with me.

I use Dove, or sometimes Ivory. One day I used Dawn ("Get's grease out of your way!"), and soft water. It took a lot of water and a lot of time to get that stuff out of my skin.

Not as nice as a tankless hard plumbed shower in a warm bathroom, but it's a far cry from the shower tent.
This is a poor option for the future as G'ma gave me a very firm "NO!"

G'pa

lilbluehonda
04-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Why would you waste all that time when setting up a real shower is easier,a RV water pump, water heater ,fiberglass shower enclosure,I live off grid in the middle of nowhere (nearest neighbor 7 miles)but I don't rough it,I have more than enough to keep me busy without wasting half the day to take a shower. I've seen these TV shows where the people live like back in the 1800's hell with that it's cheaper to live if you make your time count on things that can save you real money

greenthumb
04-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Rocklock, did you ever get your eccotemp set up? How's it working out?

localfiend
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I thought if you lived off grid you didn't have to shower. Otherwise what's the point....

:eek:

Been looking at land that's off grid lately, guess I'm gonna have to start paying attention to things like this.

rocklock
04-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Rocklock, did you ever get your eccotemp set up? How's it working out?

I set it up inside my lower bathroom then left WA. I worked great. My son and daughter-in-law has used it during the winter.

The water is bad - high iron and manganese - so when I get back in two weeks I will start up a solution then we will have good water that can be heated in a much larger furnace.

I will be using it outside when it get warn.

greenthumb
04-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks rocklock.

StressMan79
04-14-2013, 09:03 PM
FWIW, my l10 was broken when I got it. Cracked cast aluminum part where propane comes in. No hot water @ my place 4 17 days!

Mosseyme
04-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Ok, so after almost 15 years of off time with no hot water winter or summer except a little warm water in the black hoses laid in the sunniest spot by the shack I'm going to experiment with a little solar project. After reading about and seeing a solar stove made from just a box lined with reflective foil I have decided to make a box and line it with reflective material and paint the water tank [that we removed from the old motorhome before it was stolen] black, place it in a sunny spot and see if it will hold enough warmth to get a shower by the time we quit working at or after dark. I will line the box with a little insulation board to try to help keep what heat it develops. In a few weeks I'll let you know if it works.

rreidnauer
04-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Some exterior mounted reflector panels will really boost performance of the design you mention. Just think, one mirror big enough to reflect onto the whole box will double power input.

Mosseyme
04-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Was planning to do a hinged lid to tilt up at an angle to reflect down into the box. The box design will be half height on the front, double the height of the tank on the back to let the sun directly into the box then have the hinged lid lifted in the sun and down after dark. What do you think? How about if I used mirror tiles on the inside of the lid so when it was up it reflected down into the box? I don't want to get to heavy so I was originally going to use reflective foil of some kind.

rreidnauer
04-22-2013, 03:56 AM
Yea. Even simply putting foil on the hinged lid will help. Anything to steer solar energy towards the tank.

edkemper
04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
However you need to keep the sunlight out of the water to avoid growing unwanted stuff.

Cary Karen
06-02-2013, 10:04 PM
I am interested in this solar hot shower, what is the materials I will be needing in making this? Can I hire someone experts in this job?

Mosseyme
06-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I am just using a plan out of my head put there by a solar book idea. The book had a plan for a solar stove, just a box with reflective material on the inside and a lid on top and a black stew pot in the bottom with food in it. Said they had managed to get the temp to 300 degrees. I just want warm shower water so I'm using an old water tank from a motor home [55 gal] and built a plywood box big enough to have space around it. Then lined the box with 1/2" styrofoam sheets and cover the styrofoam with tin foil. I have the tank lifted off the floor of the box about 5" to allow the air to flow around it. Now just have to get the plumbing hooked up to it. It will just be feed with mountain stream water so it will have to warm the water quite a bit but I only want 90 degrees out of it. When I get finished I will post the results.

ChainsawGrandpa
06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Ah... hot water showers.
I get sentimental when I
reminisce about them.

-G'pa

StressMan79
08-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Look up ice bucket challenge... Hot showers?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

Mark OBrien
12-20-2014, 05:13 PM
This may be a good place to study and find inexpensive solar water heating systems.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/water_heating.htm

Timber
05-18-2015, 11:46 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cCCOwftes0w hot shower set up...gravity fed

ChainsawGrandpa
02-05-2017, 03:37 PM
So, whatever happened to the EccoTemp?

I took a shower on Monday night, and another
one last night (Saturday). I don't like this but
a shower is a lot of work.

I miss the days of a cascade of high-
pressure hot water for thirty minutes.

-G'pa

StressMan79
02-12-2017, 02:05 PM
My eccotemp bout started my house on fire last summer. Bought a no name replacement for $50. Will install on a pole so a buffer from the log wall.

rreidnauer
02-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Yikes!

Just use hot water to put the fire out.
;-D