PDA

View Full Version : whom to trust

kinglerch
01-02-2006, 11:23 AM
I want to have a log (style) home built. I don't have the skills or time to build it. Here I see information on both how to build it yourself and also horror stories on dealing with builders.

Is there a list of trustworthy builders and companies? How do I go about getting a log home built and avoiding problems?

WillandHelen
01-04-2006, 06:25 AM
I've often thought it a good idea for someone to come on here and solicit a builder from the association. The merits of cost reduction and quality could be passed on to you by an experienced and able builder on this forum. I think it would be prudent and well recieved if you were to give a discription of cost, time frame, and location and ask if anyone would be interested in building a house for you.

rreidnauer
01-04-2006, 07:35 AM
The only one I've ever heard of, that records builder reliability is by http://www.reliablebuildersinmaine.com/ and that is a personal website which came to be, due to them getting burned by so many builders.

There's simply no money to be made by a company to report bad builders, plus no one wants the risk of being sued for reporting bad builders, and the government simply just doesn't care. You can't trust the kit builder's recommendations either, since they have vested interests.

References and word of mouth seem to be the only way to find a good builder. IMHO, a builder who advertises a lot, stinks, and should be avoided. If you're good, you won't have to advertise. Case in point: I worked for an electrican for eight years. He never advertised, heck, he didn't even have a company phone number in the white pages, but I'll tell you what, he always had tons of work to fill all seven days of the week. His rates weren't cheap either. Why? Because he is good, real good.

In the end though, this is why LHBA is trying to spread word of doing it yourself. The old adage, "If ya want it done right . . . . .", carries a lot of merit.